Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! No chickens yet, probably a year out from that. Doing as much research and reading as I can. I hope to have RIR's, as it gets cold up here! I may do a bit of lurking, as I soak in all the knowledge being shared. Also, hoping to find a vet around here that sees chickens beforehand! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi from Upper Michigan. :D Welcome aboard the forum. I have 2 RIR's. They are certainly weather hardy. Another breed that does well with RIR are Barred Rocks. Both have about the same temperment and both are hardy for the weather we get and good layers. Ameraucana's, Easter Eggers, Australorps also do well. If you ever go to add Australorp into an existing flock though, get minimum of 2. They are extremely submissive, docile so they tend to get pecked on by the more aggressive breeds. I found out the hard way with Lilah. Took months to integrate her but worth it. Had to get her a buddy to help her out. You'll really enjoy having chickens when you get them. They're rather addicting I will forewarn you. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? You too! Very cool!! Thanks for the info about the breeds. The permit only allows 4, so addicting or not I'll have to check myself.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Welcome and hello from Cat Spring, TX! I researched for 9 months before I got my chicks just 4 days ago! I bought several magazines and a few books but what helped me the most was Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and Guide to Chicken Breeds. Enjoy the journey to keeping chickens!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts