Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, glad to find this forum!

We've had chickens for years, and used to have a few ducks, turkeys and game birds.

Just recently moved to very rural property and decided it was time to grow our flock a bit since our 4 hens and 1 rooster are really old and not productive anymore.

So we god 4 dominiques, 1 buff Orlpington, 1 white leg horn, 2 sagitta and 2 amber white. I think someone mis-labled the amber whites and they are cornish cross meat birds instead! Wow those things just lay by the feeder and eat all day, they are huge!

We also got 4 standard bronze turkey poults who have been raised with the chicks listed above. Amazing how well they all get along! We have wild turkey hens in the area, 3 of which "adopted" us last winter but have seen no toms. So we hope these girls will come visit our young toms and increase the wild population.

Our birds live in our orchard of about 40 trees. The grass there is difficult to mow due to the slope, so we got 6 American Buff goslings. Wow are they fun! They are only a week old now, so no feathers yet. The weather has been warm so the goslings have gotten to come out of their brooder every day for some grazing in the long grass. They have totally imprinted on me! We hope they will replace our lawn mower and already they gorge on grass and clover when I take them out for a walk. Also they should help fertilize the young fruit trees.

Nice forum, I look forward to learning a lot here! :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi kabri! Welcome aboard. Sounds like you made quite the additions to your flock. :) I got my first ducks this Spring. They are Pekin; one male, one female. Sure are funny critters to watch and get along so well with my chickens! Poor things aren't getting treated to a very nice Spring though. We're getting more wintery weather again the next 2 days. :mad: Normally it is warm and we're done running the big wood stove for the season. We were just in the 70's for a week and now back to snow/rain mix. Yuck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts