Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have chickens yet, but I sure want some. I have access to farm fresh eggs and they are so good. I live on the western edge of the Texas Hill Country, in Edwards County, about 15 miles from Rocksprings. The major industry around here is livestock, especially goats. A goat just showed up at my place one Friday evening back in 2011 and after not finding her owner I had to scramble to learn about goat care and build her a place to live. I thought it woud be easier this time to learn about chicken care and prepare for them before I got any chickens, so here I am.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
hello and welcome, you will get plenty of help and advice here, feel free to ask any questions.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi from Michigan. Welcome aboard. You will find having chickens one of the most rewarding decisions you ever make. Full of personality, lot of fun, and a piece of calm they bring to the hecticness of life.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome from San Marcos.

I am looking for a new goat myself. Got any good connections?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Texas....Just west of Pinkter :D

We just received our batch of new chicks today!!! OMG...So much fun...they are such cuties!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome from San Marcos.

I am looking for a new goat myself. Got any good connections?
I go to church with a bunch of goat and sheep ranchers. I now have 5 meat goats and 1 dairy goat, all abandoned by their momma's. If you want a meat goat (Boer and Spanish), I have friends. If you want an Angora, I can ask around and find who is raising that breed. If you want a dairy goat, I suggest joining the proper forum (there are several goat forum's). I have told a few people I am open to adopting a newborn dairy buck. I would like to breed everyone next year to a dairy buck. This year I have 2 does who were bred to my Spanish buck. So I will need new genes next year. What breed are you interested in? Do you want show or just a pet? Do you want a buck or wether or doe?

Hi and welcome!!! What did ya name the goat????;)
A friend said I had to name that doe, so after thinking about it I decided to name her "Lawn Mower". Lawn Mower is going to be a momma in the next few weeks (not sure if Feb. or March as did not see the act take place). Goats need friends so I let it know I was looking for an abandoned kid to be Lawn Mower's friend. So in May we got a 2 week old Spanish buck named Midnight. The friend who gave him to us had been calling him Midnight or Blackie. This friend is elderly and had no idea of gender but his wife is 20 years younger and his teenage daughter wanted to keep him, but only he was giving the buck a bottle and he just turned 79. That same friend also gave me Bambi (dairy doe) found only days old in the middle of the road. His daughter named her Bambi because she looks just like a deer. Bambi appears to be pregnant too and being dairy--I get to learn how to milk a goat. Sport was only hours old when he came to us in June. Ranch partner thought he had spots and wanted to name him Spot, but it was just dirt. So I suggested we just call him Sport. Sport is special needs, so we had him casterated. Sweet boy who I am trying to teach to walk on a lead right now. Hoping to turn him into a pack and cart pulling goat. I am learning it takes years to train a goat and for them to grow big enough to pull a cart. We were happy with our 4 when a rancher called me and asked if I wanted twins last Sept. Boots appears to be native american or at least he is wearing pow wow boots and his brother, Zorro, is our little masked boy. We decided to have them casterated too and I may try to train them too. So that is my herd right now. I have 2 pregnant does and who knows if I will get a call this spring asking if I would like a kid. Hopefully if I do the kid will be a dairy buck or a doe. I think I have enough meat goat boys and after feeding them a bottle for 3 months I just can't send them to auction, though I am open to selling any boy I currently own, except Sport. Sport is special and this is his home for life.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I go to church with a bunch of goat and sheep ranchers. I now have 5 meat goats and 1 dairy goat, all abandoned by their momma's. If you want a meat goat (Boer and Spanish), I have friends. If you want an Angora, I can ask around and find who is raising that breed. If you want a dairy goat, I suggest joining the proper forum (there are several goat forum's).
I'll send you a note when we get our fence redone and are ready to move forward.

Are you on DairyGoatInfo.com?

·
23 Posts
Hi Welcome for North Texas. I am in Forestburg just outside of Denton, Sanger, say about an hour from Fort Worth Now that we have moved. I am not far from 35.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll send you a note when we get our fence redone and are ready to move forward.

Are you on DairyGoatInfo.com?
I am not on that one but am on The Goat Spot and Packgoat. Yes, get the fence done. so much easier when there is a fence.

There sure are a lot of Texans here. It would be interesting if a poll was taken of what state you live in--what state would have the most. Of course some states would be at a disadvantage, for instance Rhode Island.

To windy to work today so drove to Kerrville (hour away). We stopped in Tractor Supply and were very saddened--they were out of baby chicks. I was hoping to watch the little guys and dream for the day we get a coop built.

·
23 Posts
Hello, I am new too. Just joined last night. I am from the Canton area in E Tx.
I am up in Canton for the Trade Days each month. My husband and I run a few Businesses on what they call " The Mountain" We have a store up there were we sell western decor for the house and we just took over a friends Cafe up thre as well and its right across the Path from the Store.
The store is really an area of a bunch of different stores that we got as a Unit and we rent out the other stores. Called Horseshoe Bend, The cafe is right across from it called " Cowboy Cafe". And we are in the works of buying the Savnnah House that is the blue building that is in between Long Branch Hotel and "The Savannah Winery"
We will be up there this week getting the store and cafe ready for next weekends market. Feel free to leave me an email here of my private one at
[email protected] if you think you will be at the trade days next weekend would love to meet you.
deana

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from Los Lunas, NM. We have a mixed flock of laying hens and another flock of BCM with a Blue CM rooster. Lot's of eggs in the incubator and awaiting arrival of Cream Legbar eggs, as well as some started Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons. Busy, busy, busy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I was offered some fertile eggs and they had an incubator I could borrow. I told them the raccoons would love that. I passed for now (sigh). I want to build a coop before the chickens start arriving. Believe me, after the fact is not easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts