Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a brand new backyard chicken owner. I got 4 ladies this past weekend. A black Austrolorp we named Ethel, a RIR we named Lucy (get it, heehee), a amereucana my son named Petunia, and a barred Plymouth Rock we named Paisley. We are loving the new additions!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi Misty! Welcome to the land of chickenhood! Nice mix of breeds you chose. Very friendly and hardy. When your Australorp gets older, you'll see pretty irridescent green/purple show during certain bright light on her feathers. A very pretty breed with big brown eyes. Ya, I have one. She's my stubborn head-strong love. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Rob I caught the bug! Who knew it'd be addicting?!? I guess in someways it's a good thing the city put a limit on how many I can have. While the kids and I are super excited (and there are 6 kids) my husband is less then enthusiastic! I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7chicks said:
Hi Misty! Welcome to the land of chickenhood! Nice mix of breeds you chose. Very friendly and hardy. When your Australorp gets older, you'll see pretty irridescent green/purple show during certain bright light on her feathers. A very pretty breed with big brown eyes. Ya, I have one. She's my stubborn head-strong love. :D
Thanks for the reassurance, I looked a lot for what breeds I wanted as I need them to be tolerant of my kids who range in ages from 12-3. I was gonna order them from a hatchery because I had chosen specific breeds I wanted, I wouldn't have gotten many of them till June going that route. On a whim I went to a feed store and wouldn't you know it, they had all my chosen breeds. My BPR was the only one that I hadn't previously settled on, but so far she is the most entertaining! She is not at all skittish and tries to use my hand as a spring board to fly out of her brooder at every social visit.

Are there any tell tell signs to having a roo in the mix? I'm not allowed to have em. In addition to the city saying no, I think I'd be frustrated with having one since I work nights and gotta sleep during the day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Misty,

I am in SoCal too, and have been researching a coop for weeks. Did you build yours or were you able to purchase it somewhere? I am having trouble finding feed stores or vendors in SoCal who sell quality coops or coop kits. I am looking to get the same number of chickens as you. You said you found all your girls at a feed store -- would you mind telling me which one?

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stuckinvtown said:
Hi Misty,

I am in SoCal too, and have been researching a coop for weeks. Did you build yours or were you able to purchase it somewhere? I am having trouble finding feed stores or vendors in SoCal who sell quality coops or coop kits. I am looking to get the same number of chickens as you. You said you found all your girls at a feed store -- would you mind telling me which one?

Cheers
I built my run and converted my kids old play house into a coop. I know there's a company in the South Bay that will come build one for you, but it's real pricey! As is I still spent a few hundred on mine and I'm not done! I also have a boss who's son builds coops for sell, I could ask her prices if your interested. I got my chicks on lakeside. Off olde highway 80. Theresa couple feed store out there that have chicks and coops. You can message me and I can give you more I food you'd like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts