Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to chickens but my wife had a small flock before we were married for a year or so. This journey started last summer when after talking about wanting chickens again for a couple years she just "rescued" 3 young birds. So I got to work building a small coop to house them. The rescues all turned out to be roosters, 2 westshires and an americana. I figured if we were going to have birds it was not going to be just pet roosters so I built a bigger coop with a hen house and got some hens last December. The girls include 2 astralorps, 2 americanas, 2 rhode island reds, a white lace, 3 banties, and a bantam. Now we had hens and problems, the americana rooster attacks the hens and the westshires fight constantly. We got the americana and 1 of the westshires new homes. 2 of the banties went broody at the end of winter so we let them keep a dozen eggs and ended up with 2 chicks. Currently the last rooster and one of the banties are seperated from the flock, the rooster for body slaming thechens and chicks into the side of the coop and pecking them on the heads as well as seeking out and attacking my 4 year old daughter during yard time for the birds. The banty is seperated for egg pecking and following the chicks pecking them around and fighting the mamas. That about sums up where I am now, sorry for going so long. If anyone has any advice about the 2 prisoners I would like to be able to reintigrate them if possible but I am out of ideas on how.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello and welcome. I'm of no help with the roos since I don't have any. Lots of others on here do though and will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like you have quite a bit of a soap opera going on with your chickens! I would suggest getting rid of two roosters as roosters will fight to prove dominance over a flock. If you don't want to get rid of them, you could start another coop, but I'm not sure that would be what you would want to do. Is the banty that causes problems also a rooster? Or a hen? I am unsure why they would peck the eggs, unless they have tasted the yolk of the eggs before- a lot of chickens really like their own eggs so I try and keep yolks out of their diets. How old are your chicks? sometimes it is a good idea to separate the chicks from the main flock until they are old enough to defend themselves. Hopefully you can get everyone peacefully living together!! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We already got rid of two of the three roosters, it is the last one that has taken to being an A-hole. The banty is a hen, she first started by trying to kick the other banties out of the nest when they where broody. I seperated her out then and put her back when the chicks started to feather out, thats when the egg pecking started. The other hens get along with the chicks fine it is just the rooster and banty that go after the chicks more then normal. The chicks are about 2 months old or so.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Hi from Cat Spring, TX. Good luck with that roo situation I'm sorry I can't help I have only pullets. I am no where near being ready for the challenges roos can bring on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rooster and the problem banty hen are gone now. The rooster got me introuble with the village. Now I am in the process of requesting a zoning variance so I can keep the rest of the girls. Any one have any experiance with Michigan's Right to Farm Act?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts