Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well retired and practicing homesteading on our 3.5 acres. Grow and put up most our food and buy my meat fresh and make my own cured meats and sausages. So meat and egg production is a reasonable next step.
Never raised chickens before.But been around them in Kentucky and helped. But there they ran free and savage most their food. So always looking for advise as I will need to pen these one way or the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome

Well retired and practicing homesteading on our 3.5 acres. Grow and put up most our food and buy my meat fresh and make my own cured meats and sausages. So meat and egg production is a reasonable next step.
Never raised chickens before.But been around them in Kentucky and helped. But there they ran free and savage most their food. So always looking for advise as I will need to pen these one way or the other.
What chickens do you have? Or are you looking for some? Check out http://www.chickenforum.com/f31/buckeye-chickens-277/ for a great breed for both meat and egg production. Jeff is a great guy and very knowledgeble about poultry.

·
Yaya
284 Posts
viper1 said:
look forward to seeing your posts. nice to have you on the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Hi Viper! Welcome to chickenland from NJ. You might want to check out the buckeye folks. They are all about homesteading and self sustaining practices. Me too!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome! My goal is eventually do some homesteading myself. Right now living in town with my 12 hens. I seem to expand my garden every year. We can never grow enough...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! Well no chickens yet just quite a bit of gardens. But hope to soon. As soon as i get my plan of action together.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Where do I find the buckeye folks and homesteading?
there is a Buckeye thread over in the "Breeds & Genetics" section....if you cant find it go to my profile and look at my "other posts" you can find the Buckeye chicken folks over there!!!

Now if you are looking for other people in Ohio (also called Buckeyes) there are a bunch of us at the "Buckeye Chickens" thread, too!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts