Hi From Salem Ohio!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by viper1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. viper1

viper1 New Member

Well retired and practicing homesteading on our 3.5 acres. Grow and put up most our food and buy my meat fresh and make my own cured meats and sausages. So meat and egg production is a reasonable next step.
    Never raised chickens before.But been around them in Kentucky and helped. But there they ran free and savage most their food. So always looking for advise as I will need to pen these one way or the other.

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

3. DarkRedBird

DarkRedBird New Member

Welcome

What chickens do you have? Or are you looking for some? Check out https://www.chickenforum.com/f31/buckeye-chickens-277/ for a great breed for both meat and egg production. Jeff is a great guy and very knowledgeble about poultry.

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hi Viper and welcome!!!

5. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

look forward to seeing your posts. nice to have you on the forum.

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hi Viper! Welcome to chickenland from NJ. You might want to check out the buckeye folks. They are all about homesteading and self sustaining practices. Me too!

7. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Welcome and I am located in SW Ohio between Dayton & Cincinnati!!!

8. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Welcome! My goal is eventually do some homesteading myself. Right now living in town with my 12 hens. I seem to expand my garden every year. We can never grow enough...

9. viper1

viper1 New Member

Thanks all! Well no chickens yet just quite a bit of gardens. But hope to soon. As soon as i get my plan of action together.

10. viper1

viper1 New Member

Where do I find the buckeye folks and homesteading?

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

there is a Buckeye thread over in the "Breeds & Genetics" section....if you cant find it go to my profile and look at my "other posts" you can find the Buckeye chicken folks over there!!!

Now if you are looking for other people in Ohio (also called Buckeyes) there are a bunch of us at the "Buckeye Chickens" thread, too!!! :D