Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I must introduce myself. I am retired , have my horses, dogs veggie garden (obsessive) and of course My 5 Lohmann brown free range hens. Also I have a passion for falconry and dogs.. Also I am living on My new farm in Ireland.
Johnny

·
Registered
19 Posts
California Whites are great chickens. They are very friendly but quite skittish. If you want a chicken to handle a lot, or if you have kids who want to play with it this is probably not the best choice. They are great egg layers, and start young. They are not aggressive at all and mix well with other chicken breeds. Hope this helps! Good luck .

·
Registered
19 Posts
^ sorry that was a test. California whites are great chickens. They are quite skittish, but very friendly. If you have kids who want to play with them, or you want to handle your chickens, I oiled not recommend this chicken. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All..
I am Virgel and I am from South Africa. I have purchased 4x 2 week old Lohmann Brown Chickens early December 2013. It is now April 2014 and they have grown substantially. The kids love playing with them and I can sit for hours and just watch them roam around doing their thing. They haven't layed eggs yet so I was wandering if I am doing something wrong? I have seen them making nests in the coop several times but no eggs yet. I don't have a rooster, do I need one?

I need advice, kind people :), please?

regards
VJ

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Hello, I must introduce myself. I am retired , have my horses, dogs veggie garden (obsessive) and of course My 5 Lohmann brown free range hens. Also I have a passion for falconry and dogs.. Also I am living on My new farm in Ireland.
Johnny
Hi Johnny, welcome to the forum

Hi All..
I am Virgel and I am from South Africa. I have purchased 4x 2 week old Lohmann Brown Chickens early December 2013. It is now April 2014 and they have grown substantially. The kids love playing with them and I can sit for hours and just watch them roam around doing their thing. They haven't layed eggs yet so I was wandering if I am doing something wrong? I have seen them making nests in the coop several times but no eggs yet. I don't have a rooster, do I need one?

I need advice, kind people :), please?

regards
VJ
Hi Virgel, welcome to the forum. Your pullets are about 5 months old now and will probably start laying within another month or so. The average for different breeds to start laying is 6 months old. They're combs should start getting redder a couple of weeks before they lay.

You don't need a rooster for the hen to lay eggs. You only need a rooster to fertilize the eggs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.