Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to chickens but it's been a long time. Planning for chicks in September and beginning to get an idea about how we want our coop and run set up.
We're going with Rhode Island Reds and only want 4. There's a 400+ square foot garden and about twice that much yard for free ranging and we've elected to go soy free. I would like a few more but hubs is against it. I understand we don't NEED more than 4, but they're so cute I want to take 'em all home!
Thanks everyone for all the info you share. My memory needs a lot of refreshing before we do this.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Although I personally dislike the HEAT in the Phoenix, AZ area......
I suppose that the Rhode Island Reds will survive just fine IF given SHADE and an occasional moisture-laden BREEZE.
BUT...White Leghorns would do BETTER (and lay a few more eggs...at less "feed-cost").

However.....Leghorns lay WHITE EGGS.
IF you want BROWN eggs......
PERHAPS you should consider a LIGHT-COLORED BRAHMA Chicken.
(Apparently...they tolerate HEAT very well.)

for more info: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

WELCOME !!!
...and GOOD LUCK !!!

-ReTIRED-

P.S. I lived and worked in Phoenix for 3 years when I was a young man. (went to school in Tempe also.)
I NEVER did get used-to the HEAT....so I moved to COLORADO....Ha-Ha !!!
Now that I'm old....I'm thinking that maybe I'll forsake the COLD of High-Altitude New Mexico and consider the tranquil WARMTH of someplace NEAR to Phoenix.....still can't TOLERATE the TERRIBLE TRAFFIC ! Ha-Ha !!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi from Upper Michigan where we sit with MORE snow today and STILL wishing Spring would get here already! :mad: Perhaps after having those four little sweeties home, your hubby will fall so head-over-heels with chickens, that he'll be wanting more. My hubby is for some reason actually scared of them when they're little. Wouldn't touch them until they were almost adult size. Forgot about that until I brought home 2 baby ducks on him this past March. Wouldn't touch them at 2 1/2 weeks old but finally picked one of them up last week at 6 1/2 weeks old. Tried putting one on his lap when they were smaller and he freaked out. :rolleyes: Men! ;) Anyway, welcome aboard the forum. Send some sun my way please. :D

·
Banned
825 Posts
Hi from Upper Michigan where we sit with MORE snow today and STILL wishing Spring would get here already! :mad: Perhaps after having those four little sweeties home, your hubby will fall so head-over-heels with chickens, that he'll be wanting more. My hubby is for some reason actually scared of them when they're little. Wouldn't touch them until they were almost adult size. Forgot about that until I brought home 2 baby ducks on him this past March. Wouldn't touch them at 2 1/2 weeks old but finally picked one of them up last week at 6 1/2 weeks old. Tried putting one on his lap when they were smaller and he freaked out. :rolleyes: Men! ;) Anyway, welcome aboard the forum. Send some sun my way please. :D
Ha-Ha !
I was the same-way ( I suspect ) as your husband....when MY CHILDREN were first born. It wasn't FEAR of them....but rather....it was FEAR that I could INJURE the helpless things by accident. I DID hold them...but I didn't much like to...until they were able to crawl around the floor. THEN...I was O.K. with it.
Ha-Ha !!!
-ReTIRED- ( who is NOW the Grandfather of 10 ...None of whom I have been required to HOLD ! ha-ha !) :D :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
wyldflwr said:
Not new to chickens but it's been a long time. Planning for chicks in September and beginning to get an idea about how we want our coop and run set up.
We're going with Rhode Island Reds and only want 4. There's a 400+ square foot garden and about twice that much yard for free ranging and we've elected to go soy free. I would like a few more but hubs is against it. I understand we don't NEED more than 4, but they're so cute I want to take 'em all home!
Thanks everyone for all the info you share. My memory needs a lot of refreshing before we do this.
I am returning to chickens after a Long time without them. I just got a coop that I bought from a friend in the valley (Phoenix) but we we are still building our protected run area. We are in the high desert of AZ so wildlife is an issue here.

Guess we can relearn together!

·
Registered
12 Posts
ReTIRED-

P.S. I lived and worked in Phoenix for 3 years when I was a young man. (went to school in Tempe also.)
Now that I'm old....I'm thinking that maybe I'll forsake the COLD of High-Altitude New Mexico and consider the tranquil WARMTH of someplace NEAR to Phoenix.....still can't TOLERATE the TERRIBLE TRAFFIC ! Ha-Ha !!!
[/QUOTE]

I don't like the heat of Phoenix either. We lived in Colorado until last year when the COLD became too hard on my joints. Now living in the hills north of phx where it doesn't get as hot, but is way warmer than Colorado!

·
Banned
825 Posts
YEP> The JOINTS don't like the COLD....They prefer HEAT.....
BUT...the rest of me can't take the HEAT !

I should LIVE in a "HOT_TUB"....but I'd just shrivel away............!!!
:D
Ha-Ha !!!
-ReTIRED_

ReTIRED-

I don't like the heat of Phoenix either. We lived in Colorado until last year when the COLD became too hard on my joints. Now living in the hills north of phx where it doesn't get as hot, but is way warmer than Colorado![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
ReTIRED said:
YEP> The JOINTS don't like the COLD....They prefer HEAT.....
BUT...the rest of me can't take the HEAT !

I should LIVE in a "HOT_TUB"....but I'd just shrivel away............!!!
:D
Ha-Ha !!!
-ReTIRED_
/QUOTE]
Ha ha I am with you there! The high desert is perfect for me...not too hot, but definitely not Colorado cold either. I am thinking if it works for me my chickens should love it here.

Holly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts