Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I own a small hobby farm in eastern Nova Scotia, where I specialize in raising heritage breed critters. Currently the farm is home to two riding horses, a miniature horse and his pet goat, a pygmy x boer whether, my Nubian x milk goat, dwarf rabbits, 4 house cats, an Alaskan husky, and Alaskan malamute, my husband and our daughter.

Due to our small acreage at this property and having most of it dedicated to my horses, my main focus has been poultry. I started out with blue australorps, barred and columbian rocks, EEs, buff orpingtons, and a number of heritage crosses. I was also given a small flock of older ISA hens. This winter we had several large snow storms in a short time frame, which resulted in a collapse in my coop run. Most of my flock was killed, and the 6 birds I have left are currently living in my house for the winter. It was a huge blow and I had several chickens who I had rescued and brought back to life, elderly pets, and quality stock lost.

With the rebuild of my flock I have ordered more Barred Rocks, Australorps, Orpingtons, and EEs as well as Jersey Giants, White-Laced Red Cornish, Euskal Oiloa, Salmon Faverolles, Mottled Houdans, and Barnevelders. I am also venturing into the realm of waterfowl and have ordered Pastel and Blue Calls and American Buff Geese. They all should be ready between the first of April and the end of May so I am like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for them!

I do raise and butcher my own chickens, turkeys and pigs, as well, and do a lot of gardening. I really enjoy the idea of back to our roots homesteading and try very hard to separate ourselves as much as possible from dependency. I'd be living in a cabin in the woods by candle light if hubs would allow it!

Eventually we will be in the market for a much larger property where we can expand our animals and raise a few highland cattle, and keep pigs year round which would enable me to bring in breeding stock. It's in the dreaming stages currently, but then again so was this little patch.

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you as I work my way through the forums!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello Fiere. Welcome to the forum. :) I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. That must be so devastating. This winter has been exceptionally brutal. Usually we get a few warmer days here and there to break up the monotony. Not this year. Its been unendingly cold and miserable. Here it is the end of February and we're being hit with another very cold spell of well below zero temps. Spring is going to arrive ... eventually ... right? :confused: Sounds like you have a lovely nice mixed flock to look forward to getting. You'll have to post us some pics when you get them so we can ooo and ahhh over them. :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan is to breed as well as eat and sell the eggs, so I've got them coming from all over. Some production lines, some show lines, all will go into a big melding pot for each breed to create my own lines as I go. I am very excited for my EOs, especially.
I'd also like to do crosses and create a mutt that is to my standard for egg production, size, and hardiness as well as a meatiness so the Roos will be fair table birds. My elderly mutt roo, Fieran was sort of the backbone of this protect but he was killed. I'm thusly starting from scratch again.

Gives me something to do anyways!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Fiere! I'm new here too! Nova Scotia is on my list of places I want to visit someday. Sorry to hear that you lost so many members of your flock.
You are doing what I am working towards doing someday. I want to be off the grid and supporting my family on my own property someday.
Look forward to hearing more about your new birds and your project birds.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hubs is not sold on living off the grid, he likes his creature comforts lol. We are working right now to being able to provide most of our own food (we don't have the acreage behind us for all, but I don't plan on being on this patch for the rest of my days), most of our dog food, cover the costs of the animal feed we can't grow/process here, and heat our home without supplementation off property. We bought this place halfway through last summer so we were simply too far behind to get a good garden growing and were only able to take on a few meat animals. This year though we have planned and prepped so there is a lot more we are going to do. It's always a work in progress!

I'm really looking into "prepping", not because I think there's going to be a disaster or anything, but there is a lot of ideas about canning full meals and stockpiling non perishables that makes a good bit of sense. If you buy pasta whether or not you need it every time it's on sale, for instance, you'll forever have pasta even if you stopped going to the store for a year - that sort of thing. I always buy out of the sale papers and get a few extra so this method of hoarding food like a squirrel is not so far removed from my daily practices. It's just an extra 25$ on each grocery bill and wanting to share your closet space with bags on bags and cans on cans of food lol.

I do feel like a bit of a hippy sometimes, but it's not about getting back to the ways of yesteryear or anything like that for me, it's more feeding my family the best I can and not being a part of the commercialized farming practices that I just simply don't agree with but can't help but buy into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts