Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking for the best broody breed of chicken for her to sit on some eggs I may start to grow, many thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cochin, silkies, brahmas, or any hybrid of this. I have a silkie that well set on and try to hatch rocks if I let her.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree - Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, and also Orpingtons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a pekin/Silkie now and she is doing great sitting on 6 eggs so 20+ days we will see what she hatches

·
Registered
10 Posts
ChickenJohn said:
Hi looking for the best broody breed of chicken for her to sit on some eggs I may start to grow, many thanks
I have a friend who had a bantam Cochin that lived to be 12 years old and throughout her whole life layed on eggs if they were gaven to her. And every time, every single egg hatched. So i think bantam Cochins are the best :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My Ameraucana has been insistently broody. Their eggs, her eggs, no eggs, she doesn't care. She's sitting anyway! :p Josie's one determined little lady.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've always heard Austrolorpes are good broodies, mine are only7 weeks so that's not coming from personal experience, but I've heard other chicken peeps talk about them being broody.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My Australorp is 2 now. She's been broody twice and it lasted about 1 1/2 weeks last year and about a week this year so far.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
7chicks said:
My Australorp is 2 now. She's been broody twice and it lasted about 1 1/2 weeks last year and about a week this year so far.
Glad to hear that. I have a broody ausi right now and was thinking of giving her eggs, guess I won't..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts