Hi All - New To Here - New To Chickens

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nxb161, Jan 24, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

Hi All, Just to give a background, from N.E. Pennsylvania. I live out in the country, but never had any farm type animals before. I have dogs, there are a lot of outside 'stray' cats. I have freshwater fish, saltwater fish, and lovebirds. I am planning on getting 3 hens in the spring. Yes, I truly am looking for just 3 of them. I am hoping to have some fresh eggs, and they'll be pets. I just ordered a pre-fab coop that I plan on customizing for now. It has a run attached to it since I don't trust the local wild-life to let them go free range. Now if I could let them do their thing and be free range, then I could see myself going nuts with chickens everywhere, I have 14 acres so room to roam. I am trying to figure out water / feed dispensers / bowls. I am super green as far as chickens so that is why I am here. I found this and one other forum that I've been looking at. Any advise is help!

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hello and welcome!! I guarantee you will end up wanting more than 3 hens. It is an addiction, and saying that you will stick with 3 is just the beginning, it is denial! We want to see pictures when you get them!

3. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

I said two and was given a gift of eight...can't part with a one! had a little Craig's list coop with two nest boxes. as they grow I have added a dog crate and two wooden boxes. the whole brood is being protected for now in the garage, which I try to sweep a few times a week to keep down the poop fumes! I thought I would have three or four layers in a coop. Now it looks like I'll have three or four coops, and well trained dogs and cats and rooster so my darlings won't have to stay locked up. :) chicken fever is what I've been told I have.
    good luck. May you catch the disease and enjoy!

4. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Welcome from Northeast Texas. This is a great group. Better than I've found in any other forum. REALLY! Lots of things to learn. A LOT of trial and error unfortunately. I'll recommend 1/4" hardware cloth not regular chicken wire. Raccoons can pull your babies right through chicken wire and snack on them all night long. Since I've installed that no problems with predators.

5. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

Welcome from Western North Carolina! Yea, go ahead and tell us you only want 3...I said 2. I have 7 and more on the way. Chickens apparently exude some form of mind-altering drug that makes you watch them, delight in their antics and just want MORE!!!! Great ideas, just research how to predator=proof your coop. Hardware cloth surrounding any enclosed run, buried 12 inches in the ground and slanted out keeps the diggers at bay. Reinforce better than you think you need to! they have all night to dig and plot...We live in the country, with raccoons, possums, bears, coyotes, hawks... They free range all day and knock wood, no casualties. We do have a lot of old-growth, never cut woods around our house so lots of shelter. Our coop is off the ground, well secured, windows have hardware cloth over them, a door with a lock. Good luck and we want pictures!
    Ellen

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome from NJ! Enjoy your time in chickenland!

7. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

Thanks all. I will post pics as I get things started. Chicken Nipples are on their way via USPS, and Coop will be here on thursday. I just hope that the weather warms up so I can started assembling. I'll also need to hit a hardware store to get some 5G Buckets for the water, and 4" PVC for the feeder, and whatever hinges and screen I need to get the coop protected. I'm looking forward to getting 3 hens, still gonna plan on just 3.

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Welcome from Upper Michigan! Welcome to the land of chickenhood! You are going to have so much fun!!! Those cute little feathered buggers are addicting. I started with 6. That's ALL I wanted. Well, when my beloved Sweetpea died unexpectedly, I ended up with a new one. Well that new one needed help fitting so I got her a buddy. Up to 7. That's where my name 7chicks came from. This summer I "had" to have an Easter Egger. Unfortunately she had health issues when I got her that I didn't realize until it was too late. Through the tears, two weeks later came a sassy Sebright named Butterscotch from my cousin. She was the lone survivor of a twice attack by a fox. Then 4 days after that, an Ameraucana from a friend of my spouse that needed a home. So, I am up to 9 and that's where I call it STOP! Any more, and I'd have to build a bigger coop which would not be an easy task the way my coop is built. Just forewarning, chicken math will get ya every time when you're not looking. ;)

9. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

yeah, right! and are you looking at coop designs now, like me? (also caught in the love trap. told farmer I could handle a couple and got nine tiny ones that aren't tiny nix. He was desperate to thin his beautiful, healthy accidental flock of the chicks laid outside the egg collecting house. Thanked us over and over. I adore them)