Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started Raising Bantam Buckeyes, Large Fowl Buff Orpington's, and Bantam Old English Silver Duckwing's in November 2012. I'm branching into Welsummer's, lol... I absolutely love poultry!!! Especially my Buff Orpington's!!! They are the sweetest babies I've ever known. I'm new!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Oh those chickens are sooo addicting aren't they! The more I learn about different breeds, the more I wish I had endless room to bring them home! Probably good thing space is limited huh. :p Welcome aboard! We're always happy to have more chicken lovers join us. The more, the merrier. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nashel said:
I started Raising Bantam Buckeyes, Large Fowl Buff Orpington's, and Bantam Old English Silver Duckwing's in November 2012. I'm branching into Welsummer's, lol... I absolutely love poultry!!! Especially my Buff Orpington's!!! They are the sweetest babies I've ever known. I'm new!
Welcome from Idaho :)

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
kahiltna_flock said:
Hello from Alaska :)
Kahiltna flock, My area of Idaho reminds me a lot of Alaskan winters when we lived up there. This is our first run at chickens and I was hoping you could give some tips on overwintering hens in temps that could be in the 20's but could be as low as negative 20.

·
Registered
839 Posts
JudyLandauer said:
Kahiltna flock, My area of Idaho reminds me a lot of Alaskan winters when we lived up there. This is our first run at chickens and I was hoping you could give some tips on overwintering hens in temps that could be in the 20's but could be as low as negative 20.
Well I have a sturdy doubled walled, fully insulated coop. It is up off the ground on those cinder block things that are used to build decks. I didn't really heat the coop. I did use one heat lamp when it was super cold for weeks.ike -20 - -30 where even the heated base the hubby rigged up wouldn't keep the water unfrozen. We have a covered run that they used all winter. They were always given the opportunity to go out, and usually did. Crazy birds. I really didnt do anything special. I lost a lot of sleep worrying since it was my first winter keeping chickens. You will do fine.

·
Registered
839 Posts
JudyLandauer said:
Where in Idaho are you? Must be northern to remind you of Alaska. I was born down in Burley. Never spent much time down there but enough to know that area wouldn't remind you of Alaska :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
kahiltna_flock said:
Where in Idaho are you? Must be northern to remind you of Alaska. I was born down in Burley. Never spent much time down there but enough to know that area wouldn't remind you of Alaska :)
We live in Shelley, which is just a few miles south of Idaho Falls. Once you hit Blackfoot going north the altitude rises to about 5300 feet so the planting zone drops to a 1, which is much cooler than Burley. I was born in Anchorage, which is more temperate than areas further inland. I guess chickens are more resilient than I thought they were if they would voluntarily go outside in such cold weather. Ourr cats don't want to go out when it's that cold and , frankly, neither do I. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
JudyLandauer said:
Correction. I meant say as low as negative 40.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Luckily we didnt get that cold this winter. We have in the past, but I think this year it was down to -25 maybe -30. They are some pretty hearty birds, that is for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts