Chicken Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Im New to the forums so figured Id introduce myself. My name is Chris and I live in Maine. My parents had chickens while I was growing up but other then that I don't have any experience. We are considering getting 6-12 chickens but have to build a coop, decide on a good laying breed, etc to start. Also considering a few Guinea Hens to get rid of the ticks. Looking forward to learning. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chippets said:
Welcome from Wyoming, formerly New Hampshire, formerly Massachusetts! I miss LL Bean!!!! :)
Lol I don't blame you. There's a Cabelas in Scarborough now as well which is great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cjn79 said:
Lol I don't blame you. There's a Cabelas in Scarborough now as well which is great.
All we have is Cabelas - two hours away in Sidney Nebraska! A Sportsmans Warehouse just opened in town but I'm always partial to Bean. They use Golden Retrievers in every catalog, too, and we rescue Goldens!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chippets said:
All we have is Cabelas - two hours away in Sidney Nebraska! A Sportsmans Warehouse just opened in town but I'm always partial to Bean. They use Golden Retrievers in every catalog, too, and we rescue Goldens!
Never been to a Sportsman's Warehouse but I have heard good things.

That's awesome. That's my wife's dream dog. I've been thinking about surprising her with one. I have 3 boys and hear they are very good with children.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cjn79 said:
Never been to a Sportsman's Warehouse but I have heard good things.

That's awesome. That's my wife's dream dog. I've been thinking about surprising her with one. I have 3 boys and hear they are very good with children.
Get one!!! They are beautiful, sweet, and great with kids! Our first was purebred with papers, but since then we have adopted from rescues. We've had 8 Goldens and Golden mixes. My hubby won't get any other dog!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm in NH but go up to visit family in the Central Maine area all the time, which requires driving through Waldo county. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WeeLittleChicken said:
Welcome to the forum! I'm in NH but go up to visit family in the Central Maine area all the time, which requires driving through Waldo county. :)
It's a beautiful area. Love it here.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome!

·
977 Posts
Welcome CJ! I am from NH but my step-daughter lives in Westbrook ME. I know there are chicken swaps in ME, you should check some out and see what kind of breeds there are. It's fun just to look at some of them and get an idea of what they look like and the colors. Nice people at some of them too. We have recently hatched out some guineas and Pekins ducks. We have been selling them as quick as they hatch! Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kaufranc said:
Welcome CJ! I am from NH but my step-daughter lives in Westbrook ME. I know there are chicken swaps in ME, you should check some out and see what kind of breeds there are. It's fun just to look at some of them and get an idea of what they look like and the colors. Nice people at some of them too. We have recently hatched out some guineas and Pekins ducks. We have been selling them as quick as they hatch! Good luck!
No kidding. A good friend of mine works in Westbrook on the fire dept. I will definitely check into that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
Although I am a lifelong Floridian, the blood in my veins is 100% Maine. All the way back to the 1700's, when my ancestors came from Scotland. York County area. My parents were born in North Berwick.
I have not been there since I was a boy in the late 50's-early 60's but it is a dream of mine to go back for a visit.

·
1,466 Posts
Waldo County. The Belfast area.
welcome to the forum from new hampshire
i go over to the chicken swaps at TSC in Sanford Maine
i mostly bring buff orpingtons but there are other breeds there too
it all depends on what type of birds you want.

piglett

1 - 19 of 19 Posts