Chicken Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had one for a couple of months back in the 70s when I was a kid then it died. I didn't really know much about them other than what the salesman told me which was to feed and water them and to give them different sized shells to try out and see which fit it better. It was interesting to watch them switch around checking them. He wound up going back to the one he started in.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It needs to be Winter so OM will update us on what's going on with them these days.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lol- it’s fine! If I left anything else out do just ask! Short answer is yes they use the small legs to stay in their shell. The long one is that they use them for other things too! There’s even a weird alien arm- truth! Super creepy looking, not even gonna lie! Lol I’ll try to find one of my other forums videos of them- it’s got this little pincher-hand looking thing and goes around it’s little body back in there doing housekeeping. Totally weird.

Umm- trying to recall here- oh! Sand; I also keep isopods in the tank with my crabbies! You know, Roly polys? Potato bugs? Pill bug? lol. Yeah those. They do my housekeeping for me, although I have to remove them due to overbreeding occasionally by knocking the extras into my 2.5 gallon tank dedicated solely to them. They’re ok. I’m still waiting on a few to come back from molt, and with the née tank and everyone in there together now I have additional worries- but so far I’ve had a couple come back. So nerve wracking, it takes about 2 months for my big ones, and I am near the end of the 2 months now.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had to go back and look for the three. Found them!

I didn't know that about the pill bugs. So, they are actually a good thing to have around in other places too it sounds like.

What would happen if you put live plants in the tank?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks! I have added one super tiny one to the tank- that last little crab I got in Jan molted successfully so I moved her on over from the isolation tank.

Yep- those little guys are a wonderful addition, they keep the sand turned and aerated, and clean up the waste. I have orange, white, and grey ones, whatever they are, it said ‘Lottery’ but I am unsure if that is a breed name or just a term for these mixed ones. They thrive either way. It’s all good.

Occasionally, every 2-3 years, IF all the crabs are up, I will do a partial or full sand dig and reset. It’s a headache and a half. And not even 100% necc if you aren’t having any issues.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

This is Lizzie! She is hanging upside down, and that is ‘standard size’ burlap. She itty bitty.
Glad you confirmed that she was hanging upside down because it did look like to me.

Do they ever get hung up in the yarn?

·
Registered
856 Posts
So far, no! I have thought they might be hung up a couple times and have considered removing it but the littles especially seem to enjoy messing with it. that is more ‘their’ end of the tank anyway, and the jumbos like the end with the big wheel better, although they can all go most anywhere in the tank- if that makes any sense! They all fit in most all spaces but one end has more tight corners and the strings etc to contend with.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had one for a couple of months back in the 70s when I was a kid then it died. I didn't really know much about them other than what the salesman told me which was to feed and water them and to give them different sized shells to try out and see which fit it better. It was interesting to watch them switch around checking them. He wound up going back to the one he started in.
That’s better care advice than many places give people still today. It’s really quite appalling how little so many who sell them know.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So far, no! I have thought they might be hung up a couple times and have considered removing it but the littles especially seem to enjoy messing with it. that is more ‘their’ end of the tank anyway, and the jumbos like the end with the big wheel better, although they can all go most anywhere in the tank- if that makes any sense! They all fit in most all spaces but one end has more tight corners and the strings etc to contend with.
It makes perfect sense. If you watch the birds they do something very similar.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts