Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PXL_20201020_205353761.jpg
I need some advice. I have 3 turkeys that are pushing 2 yrs old just recently noticed that 1 was a male and the other 2 where female. This morning I went to let all my chickens and the turkeys out as normal they all stay in the same chicken house together at night. Well this morning one of my hens was dead. She had some trauma to her wings and a mark on her breast underneath. She also had been been pecked on her rear, I'm guessing after she fell off the roost the chickens started pecking her. I'm not sure what she could of died from she seems fine the day before and the night I put them up. Any advice or input is appreciated

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
I'm sorry you lost her. It's never an easy thing to find.

I'll let one of the others address your questions since I've never had turkeys. We've got two regulars here that do and know a thing or two about them.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
I'll holler at the two of them. Maybe they'll pop in tonight on whether they have any ideas at all.

I know with chickens a sudden death like that is often a heart issue. I don't know if it happens with turkeys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll holler at the two of them. Maybe they'll pop in tonight on whether they have any ideas at all.

I know with chickens a sudden death like that is often a heart issue. I don't know if it happens with turkeys.
Same here, I'm new to the turkeys. However they are like big dogs so it's pretty sad

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
I sent them both a note. PJ is in the excessively cold north which has slowed him down a bit. I think Dan might be anxiously waiting for his next batch of peeps to hatch.
I'm sorry for your loss. The few sudden inexplicable turkey deaths I have had over the years have been with chicks around a week old. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

Reactions: Hermit's Garden

·
Serama King
2,340 Posts
View attachment 37532 I need some advice. I have 3 turkeys that are pushing 2 yrs old just recently noticed that 1 was a male and the other 2 where female. This morning I went to let all my chickens and the turkeys out as normal they all stay in the same chicken house together at night. Well this morning one of my hens was dead. She had some trauma to her wings and a mark on her breast underneath. She also had been been pecked on her rear, I'm guessing after she fell off the roost the chickens started pecking her. I'm not sure what she could of died from she seems fine the day before and the night I put them up. Any advice or input is appreciated
This can only be conjecture. A tom will mount any bird that is horizontal and still as though to mate. Should the bird by stunned, injured, or sick, the tom's advances can cause death.

It is for that reason I keep sick, injured, broody birds, and those with chicks completely separate from the toms.

But really, the possibilities are endless. Like PJ I have had chicks/poults/young birds die in unexplainable circumstances, but never adult turkey hens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This can only be conjecture. A tom will mount any bird that is horizontal and still as though to mate. Should the bird by stunned, injured, or sick, the tom's advances can cause death.

It is for that reason I keep sick, injured, broody birds, and those with chicks completely separate from the toms.

But really, the possibilities are endless. Like PJ I have had chicks/poults/young birds die in unexplainable circumstances, but never adult turkey hens.
Thank you for your input, I didn't suspect any injury to her and sickness before this had happened. I let everyone out this morning and everyone seems fine. Nothing strange happened overnight or early in the morning anyway. But I do truly appreciate your input as I am new to owning Turkeys, which I love ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts