Hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shaw Family Farm, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM.

1. Shaw Family Farm

Shaw Family Farm New Member

Hi, I have about two dozen girls that are a little over 6 months old. A few started laying at about 3 1/2 months, most have been laying for a couple months now. My 14 brown egg layers average 12 eggs a day. My four ameraucanas are laying 2-3 eggs a day. I have 5 brown leg horns that up until a week ago were averaging 3 eggs a day but now for a week - NOT ONE EGG! They are all getting supplemental light as they all live together. They do get out occasionally and 1 or 2 of them are laying in an outside nest they have created. I have searched my entire property and have found none of their eggs anywhere?? Any thoughts?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Molt would be one reason.

The other? The light. Although it probably isn't it right now but when they don't get the break from laying with the shorter days it can burn them out faster.

What do you mean they get out occasionally? Being confined can cause stress and also reduce laying.

It doesn't take a lot to knock them off kilter. Moving to a new coop can do it. Even if that coop is on the same property. If they are eating normally, bright eyed there probably isn't much to worry about.

danathome likes this.

3. Shaw Family Farm

For 23 birds their pen is about 500 sq ft, they also have a huge yard for themselves, maybe about 2500 sq feet but about half of the brown leg horns fly over our six foot fence like it was nothing. I know 1 or 2 are laying in another nest which I check regularly but all at once all 5 stopped laying but all of our other birds are still laying like clockwork. Maybe my question should be "Is there something about the brown leghorns I need to know?? They are the only ones who have stopped laying

4. Shaw Family Farm

I don't think it would be molting as they have just started laying 1 1/2 to 2 months...

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

When you said they get out occasionally I thought you meant they were in a building most of the time. Not that they had a massive yard they had access to.

Birds can molt multiple times a year. My one Hamburg will molt at least twice and it's noticeable everytime she does it. I don't think being new to egg laying and molting has anything to do with the other.

6. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

What are you feeding?
    Explain your supplemental lighting. How long of a day (light) do they have?
    Check your birds for parasites and possible health problems.
    Has there been any changes? In food? The coop? Etc.?
    Is fresh water available at all times?
    Are any of the birds unduly aggressive?
    Any predator problems?

Along with what the others have said any of the above could also be responsible for hens to stop laying.

7. danathome

Also, it is not uncommon for pullets to lay inconsistently or to stop laying for a short time. I would not worry too much about their not laying until more time has passed.

8. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

i
    It's still very strange that the egg laying suddenly dropped to zero.

9. danathome

Not really. The posts say that there are about two dozen hens and just the five have stopped laying. Strange that it was all the leghorns, yes. Coincidence or ... Sounds to me that something may be just slightly off to effect just the one breed.

Poultry Judge likes this.