Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a flock of 4 hens, and currently only 1 of them is laying. The other three look very much mature enough to start laying, but they just aren't. I've made sure that they always have fresh food and water, a spacious and sturdy enclosure, and no stresses. How come they just aren't laying?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, breed and age have much to do with it. Also, some chickens just don't decide to lay when everyone else does. I have two speckled Sussex pullets among my flock, and only one of them is laying. The other is the exact same age and hasn't started yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how old the hens are, all the supplier said was that they should lay within around 2 weeks of bringing them home. But they seem old enough to start laying, as their combs are big and red by now. (which I've heard is a sign of maturity)
They are a Rhode Island Red crossed with a mystery breed.
Plant Chicken Beak Phasianidae Fence

This is an old photo so they are a few weeks older than this. As you can see by their color, they are mostly RIR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The photo was taken the day we bought them. Would she just be stressed due to transportation?
That is the same hen that I mentioned had a cut on her back in a previous thread. She may be stressed in the pic because of that?
The enclosure they were in, in the photo, was also temporary until they got to be relocated in their permanent (and quite large and sturdy) enclosure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They should know where to lay as I've put real eggs in the nesting boxes to show them where to put one. And they've seen the one that is laying, laying in the nesting boxes. But, for good measure I'll still check the entire enclosure as you suggested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts