Hens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by Chickencrumpet, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Chickencrumpet

Chickencrumpet New Member

Please can anyone help!
    I have been building up my flock which consists only of Orpingtons. I have/had 4 cockerels and 15 pullets and I was intending to get some more girls but then some started getting sick. I noticed that a couple of them started sneezing and wheezing which started spreading through the flock. I gave them 5 days of Tylan antibiotics and the ones that have been showing signs of respiratory infections seem to have got better.
    However, I then lost 3 girls spread out over a couple of weeks. These girls showed no symptoms of colds but just became quiet, depressed, stopped eating/drinking and then just wasted away. I tried everything to save them but within a few days of becoming depressed they died. Now I have a fourth hen that has suddenly got a droopy wing/ paralysis? What I thought was a respiratory infection has now turned into something more serious. Do you think it's Mariks? My hens all free range over half an acre of paddock I have three large hen sheds 10'x12' so there is no overcrowding. I don't know what to do with this hen whose wing is droopy whether to just see what happens or put her down. She is still at the moment eating and drinking.
    My question is if it Mariks what do I do? Also if some of the hens survive will I still be able to buy more hens or will they get sick as well.
    Please help

2. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

I am so sorry to hear of all your losses, it is so hard to see your loved chickens go, especially when you give it all you've got and try your best to keep them healthy... I am not much help for you regarding what is making your chickens sick, but there is plenty of people on this forum who will try to help. Sorry for your losses and hope all goes well for you and your chickens.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

4. Chickencrumpet

Thank you for replying. Yes I did read up on Mariks which is why I am almost certain that's what this is. It doesn't read good and I am heartbroken. I used to keep chickens for many years with no problems at all, then when my mum got sick I gave it all up to look after her. Just before she died she said her wish was that I start up again which is what I have done....... Hence new birds and now this.
    Has anyone else experienced these disease? If so I would be grateful to hear how you dealt with the problem.

5. Chickencrumpet

I wanted to add that When I purchased birds (four different lots from four different breeders) I was told they had been vaccinated

6. Chickencrumpet

Sorry Mareks...... Not Mariks my mistake

7. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Junior Member

Depending on where you are located you might take a dead bird for autopsy. In Maryland you can drop of a bird at NO Charge:
    Frederick Laboratory
    1840 Rosemont Avenue
    Frederick, MD 21702
    (301) 600-1548
    Fax (301) 600-6111

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Excellent! ...........

9. Chickencrumpet

I live in Buckinghamshire, UK but I am sure if I ring my vets that they would advise me where to take/send dead bird. It's too late this time as my husband disposed of it.
    It's been about a week since last one died and all the others seem to have improved apart from a couple that are sneezing. It is or was like I had two different things going on. I had a few sneezing and rattling but none of those died and have recovered(although new ones sneezing now) and then I had the four that showed no cold symptoms but just quickly deteriorated and died.
    All hens had been treated with Tylan.
    So weird anyway fingers crossed they will all carry on improving.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Glad things are improving chicken crumpet. Could be one diseases manifesting in two different ways. Next time you're prepared.

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I hope this is the end of all the sickness so you can your chicks can heal Chickencrumpet. How hard on you and them! Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

12. adorson

adorson Member

You might want to read up on Mycoplasma synovia especially since your sick birds had respiratory symptoms initially. This disease can cause respiratory symptoms as well as lameness. I hope this helps!

13. Chickencrumpet

Thank you for all your help

14. Chickencrumpet

Thank you 7chicks I hope so too

15. Chickencrumpet

Well the ones that died actually showed no signs of respiratory troubles but I will definitely read up on it. Thank you for your advice.

16. Chickencrumpet

I think you might be right Adorson I no longer think it's Mareks. The flock seemed to be improving slowly and no more deaths in two weeks although I have one girl acting a bit suspect. What I have noticed is some red mucus like poo and on close examination (I know that sounds gross) it could possibly be worms, although not 100% sure. They have just had a 10 day course of Flubenvet the one that is already premixed with layer pellets (I couldn't get the other). After they have been treated do the dead worms show up in their poop? How would I know if they still have worms or not? Also is sneezing one of the signs?

17. Helens-Hens

Helens-Hens New Member

hello chicken crumpet , im from surrey in uk
    i see you have treated your flock with tylan , so i guess you thought you had mycoplasma ?
    with mycoplasma you find that you get secondary infections
    also you say your birds are vaccinated ?
    do you know what against and as you got the from 4 different breeders did you get them all at the same time ?
    some vaccines are live which means birds that are NOT vacinated will most likely get what the birds have been vaccinated against .
    sounds like you have alot going on there with your flock , and i see that things are improving
    good luck with them , if you ever need advice you can always pm me i check my emails twic daily
    kindest regards
    helen

18. Chickencrumpet

Thank you Helen

19. adorson

adorson Member

How old are you chickens? Do they feel thin? If you are seeing worms in their poo then it indicates a heavy infestation. If I see worms I treat the first time with Piperazine (Wazine 17). This does not kill the worms but paralyzes them so they can be passed. Then I follow up with Ivermectin in 7 to 10 days to kill any remaining worms. Getting rid of all the worms at once can cause other problems.
    The bloody poo could be shedding of the intestinal lining which is normal or it could also indicate Cocci. Usually sneezing is not associated with cocci or worms but if they have worms or cocci, they are already stressed from that and will not be able to fight off other infections.
    Here is a link to a chicken poo chart that shows what is normal and what is not. I hope this helps you to narrow down what might be going on with your flock!

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

20. Chickencrumpet

They are all approx 20/22 weeks now. I wasn't sure if it was worms I saw it was more like bloody mucus. Most of the poo is normal just the odd one which is runny or bloody mucus. Maybe it is the normal shedding of the lining. I wasn't aware that happened.
    Thanks for the link.
    xx