Henpecking

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Vinobarolo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Vinobarolo

Vinobarolo New Member

Poor Bluebell is getting picked on and looking pretty raggedy. I have started keeping her outside of the run so she can have some peace but all she does is pace up and down along the fencing like she wants to be back with the bullies. Should I just force her to stay outside on her own until she heals? Right now she looks unhappy as well as raggedy!

2. thespiralandthelotus

thespiralandthelotus New Member

How bad is it? Is there blood? Chickens are flockers and want to be in a flock which is why she is pacing.

3. thespiralandthelotus

thespiralandthelotus New Member

Also are they bored? Try adding some things to do like hanging a cabvage or carrot in the run. A dogtreatball (hollow ball with small hole filled with food) that they have to peck to get at the food. Make sure there are multiple waterers and feeders so noone is bullied of their food.

4. Vinobarolo

Vinobarolo New Member

She hasn't been bleeding yet, but the back of her neck is pecked nearly clear of feathers and they are starting on her shoulder. I have used vaseline on her neck - they don't like the feel of it on their beaks - but then they peck at a different area. I do hang some treats from the top of their run but the dog toy is a great idea. I hate losing her eggs to the neighbor's yard - they are the prettiest of the flock! Not to mention cleaning the concrete....

I have also heard that vinegar in the water works. Might give that a try as well. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

5. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

I had the same problem and I used Stockholm tar,I smeared it over the affected ares and she's back to being fully feathered..it stinks to high heaven and the bullies took an instant dislike to it,I paid £5 for a tin that will last me years..money well spent.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks markhorsley! I've been desperate myself for an answer to this same problem. I brought home an Australorp last May and even though I really took my time introducing her to the older hens, they still peck her bad. Her poor little head is absolutely bald from them. Breaks my heart. She's such a sweet submissive girl.

My girls too, have stuff to do to keep them busy, extra feed dishes, and I have added perches throughout the coop run. Took getting her a buddy last September to be able to join the group. Buddy doesn't get as pecked but she was raised with various aged chickens by her previous owner. Australorp, Lilah, was kept with those her own age. I think that makes a big difference.

I am getting some stockholm tar ordered for Lilah this morning! Thank you again for your great advice! :) Lilah will be thanking you too!

7. Jennibobs

Jennibobs New Member

I have a problem with this too, one of my chickens has pecked at all the others so they all have baldy wee bums, they all look like they are oven ready! I'm going to get some of that Stockholm tar right away. Thanks for the tip markhorsley.

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Jennibobs, I'm not sure how hard this will be to find where you are. Wasn't easy where I'm at but I ordered it off Amazon this morning. With shipping, it cost me around $13 for a pint. Just wanted to pass along the bit of added info in case you have a hard time finding it too.

9. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

I struggled to find it at first but an old friend of mine who first mentioned it (she's kept poultry for 55 years) told me to check equestrian outlets as it's used on horses too...I found a supply at a Farmways outlet,sizes from 400ml to 5 litres.

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Found it at Tractor Supply ... after I already ordered it. =/ Price was $10 for a pint.

11. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I moved your thread to behavior so a few more folks my see it and give you a helping hand. :)

12. Jennibobs

Jennibobs New Member

I managed to track some down from a website called Wells Poultry Housing £4.80 for 450g, I don't know if this is a good deal or not but just hoping I get my fluffy Chickens back!!

13. Vinobarolo

Vinobarolo New Member

Ordered something called Bickmore Pine Tar from Amazon, often used for hoofed creatures and was recommended by the local constabulary, and will report on the success (I hope)! I can tell you this, I can not get rid of the smell. Poor Bluebell, she may well be left alone entirely! It will be interesting to see how sleeping arrangements work out tonight. I have noticed that once I started with the petroleum jelly applications on her crown, they started on her shoulder so we coated all of her bare patches..... All it takes is one blind chicken to make you work that much harder to make your flock happy! Cheers, all.