Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Chicken Mafioso
125 Posts
The top one is a rooster, and I think the bottom one is a hen. Although her tail feathers are a little bit curved, I don't see any sex feathers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first pic looks like a roo because it has longer sickle feathers in its tail. The other pic is kinda hard to tell, but from the picture and angle looks more like a hen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are 4 months old tomorrow and were purchased from a hatchery as being hens

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Let me start by saying that I think that except for the tails, both are hens. The first one has the tail of a roo. Having said that, at 4 months old, you should be able to see the signs of spurs on roos. Look, and let us know who is right! I'm not betting on me, but this is how we learn, and it's kinda fun!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just figured out that one of my favorite game hens is a rooster! Ugh. :( It was so pretty and I have never seen anything like it before. I think it's 12 weeks old. Oh well. Now I have to sell him.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not enough detail on feathering. I have 2 BA from the middle of March, just a little more than 4 1/2 mo old. Without a clearer pic of feathering, with emphasis on hackles and saddle, wouldn't testify in court, but 1 maybe both are laying, both completely hen-feathered although one started comb growth and color at 3 months, now sports a pretty large comb but no spurs or crowing (she is a talker though) and she squats for me. The other looks like your #2 comb-wise, except the comb is just a little larger on mine. I have watched that one in the nesting box laying. So possible both hens until proof otherwise. On a roo, the hackle feathers (the area where neck feathers lap over onto body) are slender and pointy like a sword, (similar to saddle feathers). They are called sex feathers. On hen/pullet, those feathers are wider and rounded. at the tips. I have noticed on some hackle feathers on more colorful girls, it can seem to look like swords, but really is a v-shape of color that you notice inside a contrasting U shape feather, so it is the actual feather shape, not the color shape. I noticed on my girls (I bought straight-run, so was holding my breath since I can't have a roo) that the green irridescence was a V on the hackles, but the feather itself was rounded with the surface area outside of the V being a flat black. That is when I relaxed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, that clinches it for me, got 6 brown eggs today, which means all 4 amber-whites and Both australorps had to lay today. I believe your BA's are hens, they've got no more tails than mine, and mine are at most only 3 weeks older.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts