Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm gonna say Roo because of all that red on the saddle feathers and bow, also the comb is awful pink. But That's just an opinion, and you know hat they say about opinions ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol! I can never tell .. I had one that I thought was a hen and he crowed at 9 months! Baha

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
My vote is rooster with that tail. It looks like it's starting to grow up and over like a roosters tail. I have Americanas and I don't remember Cocky Rocky's comb coming up too fast, but that tail looks like a rooster.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheesh your right! Where the heck are the muffs? Have I been taken! I bought 2 Americana and 2 French marans. Hmmmm

·
Registered
289 Posts
jennifer said:
Sheesh your right! Where the heck are the muffs? Have I been taken! I bought 2 Americana and 2 French marans. Hmmmm
I would say you have EE. General rule of thumb is any other spellings besides "Ameraucana", treat them as EE. Yours looks like 1/4 EE. My 1/2 (F1) EEs carry all Ameraucana traits with the exception of feather color. My 3/4 (F2) Ameraucana EE carry all Ameraucana traits. My 1/4 Ameraucana EE however hardly have any Ameraucana left in them. Occasionally colored legs, maybe a beard, maybe muffs, maybe the pea comb, etc. More mutts than anything, those 1/4s.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awe man.. Nice bird but not sure i can do the slaughter if its a roo.. And thanks for the info! I love this site!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a roo:( so pretty! He was pulling and mounting last night. Dang! Anybody want a sweet pretty ameracauna roo???

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think you should, I try to keep some from each of my hatch to make sure my stock is breeding good, but that is not always possible. I know I would like the feedback. We have even started listing our Ameraucana as Ameraucana/EE, as we recently learned that all true Ameraucana, according to the Ameraucana Club, are solid colors. Not all of ours are, yet have the blue/green eggs, thus they are actually considered in the EE class.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have always found it strange that the Ameraucana people don't consider a chicken,that was bred from to Ameraucana parents, that meet the breed standard, but the offspring doesn't, consider the offspring as just an EE. And they get rather pissy about the subject! Seems like it would just be a non show quality Ameraucana.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
fowlmouthgirls said:
I have always found it strange that the Ameraucana people don't consider a chicken,that was bred from to Ameraucana parents, that meet the breed standard, but the offspring doesn't, consider the offspring as just an EE. And they get rather pissy about the subject! Seems like it would just be a non show quality Ameraucana.....
The face gives it away. Even purebred Ameraucana sometimes can throw a flaw. It's VERY hard to have purebred show quality and keep the gene pool large. I have off colors as well (silver, splash wheaten) but even those are purebred and can be labeled non-standard Ameraucana. You get off colors when breeding them together. But we can't claim them as our top stock because of their flaw. The most important aspect to the Ameraucana are the muffs and beard, and blue or slate legs. Anything off in those, is an automatic EE.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
mjs500doo said:
The face gives it away. Even purebred Ameraucana sometimes can throw a flaw. It's VERY hard to have purebred show quality and keep the gene pool large. I have off colors as well (silver, splash wheaten) but even those are purebred and can be labeled non-standard Ameraucana. You get off colors when breeding them together. But we can't claim them as our top stock because of their flaw. The most important aspect to the Ameraucana are the muffs and beard, and blue or slate legs. Anything off in those, is an automatic EE.
On ours, we have the muffs, beard, leg color, but not a solid color. I actually prefer the pretty colors. But we still get flack, so, I just started listing them as "Ameraucana/Easter Egger". Since now I know better...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay.. Well to be "frank" I just don't know any better to care. And if I'm being frank.. All I care about is a healthy bird who lays me colored eggs. I'm not a breeder but I am a gal who paid top dollar for a breeding chicken. I don't plan to breed and today I got a sweet egg!

image-3987384629.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts