hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by duffala, Nov 29, 2012.

1. duffala

duffala New Member

I am new to chickens. This is our baby silkie its around 1.5 months old. I know they are hard to sex. Anyone have any guesses? its getting some new fuzz. I added a pic of its parents because i think they are gorgeous.

603720_285369934901384_1532031551_n.jpg

ForumRunner_20121129_145506.png

ForumRunner_20121129_145444.png

ForumRunner_20121129_145421.png

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'm of no help here but can't not stop and say, how absolutely adorable!!!

3. duffala

duffala New Member

It's okay, and thank you ;c)

4. Lissa

Lissa Junior Member

I am fairly new to chickens too. I did notice when we had our chicks, the boys were slower getting their feathers in. I had 2 roos (1 is a silkie) in my bunch and they were last to get their pretty feathers in. Not sure if this is the norm though. My silkie started crowing around 3.5-4 months old. Good luck! Adorable pictures though!

5. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Junior Member

So cute! I hatched 6 Silkies 5 weeks ago....2 black, 2 buff (I think) and 2 gray. I also have 2 Bantams, Willie and Millie (Mille De Fluer) when I brought the silkie chicks to the coop Millie, who I was sure was a hen CROWED! Over and over....so funny!!!!!

6. duffala

duffala New Member

I wanna hatch some closer to spring. What incubator do you use?

7. mistinichole

mistinichole New Member

Just wanted to say they are soooo cute... I want some!!!:p

8. CrazyBirdLady

I used the Little Giant with egg turner. Got it at Tractor Supply $80 for both. I've hatched 22 eggs....very stressful! I've never hatched all the eggs, always a few

9. CrazyBirdLady

Oops, always a few who don't hatch.....

10. blueggchick

blueggchick New Member

So cute! I have hatched some silkie out last year and could tell the sex closer to 4 mos of age.

11. piglett

piglett Senior Member

the boys had streamers on their heads?
    got 8 youngsters in a dog crate rite now
    i'll make some changes to my old meatpen soon, they are growing like weeds :eek:

12. duffala

duffala New Member

sadly while i was away yesterday. the neighbors 3 dogs chewed and pulled down Planks of wood from my 6 foot privacy fence that was in good sturdy shape. . entered my yard and i can't find a trace of existence of my little white silkie. My daughter will be heartbroken

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm so very sorry to hear your news. How very very sad. Good thing she has someone to share her heartbreak. So very sorry.

14. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Oh how sad, so very sorry that happend, I was just enjoying your photos...

15. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

But if there is no trace of her, then she may be hiding somewhere. I have had one hide for nearly 3 days before she showed her face. Maybe she will show up!

16. duffala

duffala New Member

that would be a blessing if it showed up . .. but i have looked allover the place and listened for the chirps...

17. CrazyBirdLady

I just found out my "Millie" is a Milton....he crowed when I brought my baby silkies to the coop! How shocked was I! lol

18. piglett

piglett Senior Member

my young roos never made any noise till i showed up with a huge barredrock . the rock was headed to my freezer that day but they didn't know that. the next day they started to crow.