Hen or cock? silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by ryan123, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ryan123

ryan123 New Member

this is a silkie i got a while ago but i dont know wheather it is a cock or a hen. and what age is it

image-1126849050.jpg

2. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

I have one like this that's six weeks old . I call it Griffin" it's adorably ugly and I want so much for it to be a girl, since I don't think I can manage more roosters.

3. ryan123

ryan123 New Member

So you think it is a hen? From looking at the picture when should she start laying or crowing if it is a rooster?

4. kimberley

kimberley New Member

2 or 3 months old for crowing but i have had one get to 6 months before it started crowing. if you have another rooster and you see the two sparring its a rooster. but it looks like a hen to me. but dont really know.

5. woody

woody New Member

Silkies are hard to tell I had two that I was sure were both cocks til on started crowing and one laid an egg. I've raised chickens for years but only a few times have raised silkies. Someone who raises them all the time could probably tell.

6. My3Cats

My3Cats New Member

silkies

My black silkie is a female cause she lays eggs and has set on guinea eggs. I think my red one is a male.

7. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

This is my cockerel Archie. They kinda have the same hair do! He just started crowing, he needs alot of work with that part!

8. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

He's very very handsome!

10. ryan123

ryan123 New Member

from the picture of the white silkie he looks very clean and dry. does he be out in the rain and the cold weather or where should they be kept?

11. rob

rob New Member

my silkie only looks like that in the summer, at this time of year she looks wet and weathered.

12. piglett

piglett Senior Member

that's a good looking boy you have there Kaufranc
    i think the roos have "streamers" & the hens don't
    my babies are only 12 weeks old so i still can't tell how many of each i have. 50/50 would be great an extra hen would be even better

piglett
    wolfeboro

13. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Archie Is just starting to get his streamers. George and Louise molted and they look lovely now. George has wonderful streamers!

14. piglett

piglett Senior Member

how old are they before the streamers show up??

15. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

George & Louise are 2 years and I have to say this year George's streamers are just flowing! Much better then his first year. Archie isn't even 1 yet and he hasn't really started streaming. We finally put Archie in with Edith (our special needs Silkie hen) since she just laid her first egg the other day! I love my Silkies!

16. piglett

piglett Senior Member

so your saying i might be sitting on 8 young all white silkies for months before i figure out who is who? good thing they are small & don't eat much

sent a PM back to ya Kaufranc
    thanks

17. DanielleBoland

DanielleBoland New Member

I think its a hen not sure though

18. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I'm gonna shout out roo. It has longer hackle feathers, and the comb starting on the nose... just thinking out loud. BUT, look for spur buds on the inside of the legs.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I vote hen. Posture and head is what I'm basing my decision on.

20. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Yeah, I just saw a picture of the buff one with the bracelet (!!) and I'm rethinking. I'll go with hen. Unless it's a roo, then I told you so!!!:p