Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wendy, one of my red star hens, is losing feathers on her head. None of my other hens are having any problems. I have seen another one of my hens, Sally, picking on her. They have been raised together with my four other hens since they were all chicks. Any suggestions? Is their any way I can help Wendy?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you have a rooster, it could be that it is from a rooster mating with her and plucking out her head feathers. Also, you may want to check for mites near the head.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
If it gets really bad, then take Sally out for about a week, and keep her by herself. At the end of the week, put her back in, and that will kind of reset the pecking order, and she won't be the top gal, and Wendy will be higher on the pecking order.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
If it gets really bad, then take Sally out for about a week, and keep her by herself. At the end of the week, put her back in, and that will kind of reset the pecking order, and she won't be the top gal, and Wendy will be higher on the pecking order.
I have one loosing, but I think that is from the roo, not sure how to help her yet.

·
Banned
162 Posts
So tired of these wife beaters. Gotta say...
I actually cull out males who are hard on their wives. I've gotten to the point now where I have cock birds who can breed their hens without excessive pulling out of feathers or spurring. It took some time, but it can be done.

Gentleness to their wives is a trait I prize, and I breed for it specifically. Cocks can breed successfully without being over-zealous or pullet rapers. Any male or males that gang rape a pullet get immediately removed, and if they do it repeatedly they become dinner.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I'm waiting for the young ones to grow up. Then if he doesn't shape up, he's gone. Need someone to address the hawks until then....

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Jim, thank you for your friendship and support. It's good to know I can say what I think, and someone's got my back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i use bantam roosters they are smaller so the don't intimidate my reds started them all as chicks together and blend in new chicks when they are as big as the bantams so they don't feel intimidated either

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
jcaravalho said:
i use bantam roosters they are smaller so the don't intimidate my reds started them all as chicks together and blend in new chicks when they are as big as the bantams so they don't feel intimidated either
If I weren't breeding, that would be a great plan, if I stop breeding, I may give that a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts