Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a speckled hamburg and the has just started to lay eggs again I got her in August and she layed a few eggs when u first got her but now she just lays these little tiny eggs about the size of a pigeon egg which is very small for a chicken. Could anyone tell me why she is laying

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
One of my 18 week old pullets just started laying. The first one was Wednesday, the 2nd one Saturday the third one today. All of them are around 1/2 the size of a large grade egg from the grocery store. I have been told this is normal and will gradually increase in size. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
It is normal for a chicken to lay a smaller egg when they start or when they are ending the year.

Hope this helps...

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
It's a perfect design by the Creator. Have you seen the size of the vent on a pullet? All things proportionate and their oviduct is smaller as well, so small eggs in the beginning so as to not traumatize the tissues, growing slowly larger as the body adapts.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
A couple of years old and just now laying eggs? Same concept. If she is just getting started back to laying after a slow down, sometimes they start out with the little eggs, fart eggs, soft eggs, etc.

If I had a chicken that hadn't laid an egg in two years, she'd have been culled long ago.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Hate to break it to ya but she's not a pullet.... She is a couple years old.
My answer is still the same ...

It is normal for a chicken to lay a smaller egg when they start or when they are ending their year.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! And I knew that she probably wouldn't lay sense she is old but I got her because she is very pretty! I've always wanted one so u got one just to have running around the yard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts