Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that's what's going on anyway . She hatched them and there are still some Unhatched eggs that she won't get off of . There were 12 eggs and 7 had hatched some where out walking around and now they are dead under her . :( there are only 3 left and she's pecking at them . Suggestions on what to do if anything ? First broody hen by the way. First for me and first for her .

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I agree with the others. She is still sitting and not taking her babies to eat. They starved. I would remove any eggs left under her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys ! I did have to remove them she just wanted to keep them tucked under her and if they came out she would peck the crap out of them . The three live chicks are eating and drinking fine now . Momma hen is now sitting on the eggs that have been Laid today by the other hens :( I removed the chicks and she didn't fuss much but when I removed the stinky eggs she tried to take off my hand . Then she immediately hopped over where today's eggs were and set down . She's hunks she really needs to sit on eggs I guess

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I would separate her if you can so she won't have a choice to lay on eggs... I use an old wire dog crate to separate mine while still leaving the crate in the run or coop so the others don't forget who she is and start problems later on when you reintroduce her. Sorry about the chicks - I lost four a while back for similar reasons. They were incubator hatched and for the life of them could not understand the food and water bowl even though I showed them repeatedly. Never seen anything like it. Anyway, good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts