hen fighting rooster

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by grgfishkeeper, Nov 15, 2012.

1. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

I have a hen and a rooster both rir in a breeding pen and i dont know if there breeding the rooster is scared of the hen every time he gets close she pecks him.

Is there something i can do to make them breed?

2. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Laying mash should making them frisky lol

3. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

Been feeding that since day one with cracked corn

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have a game hen that free ranged at one time I had to pin her up cuz she killed a buff rooster that tried to breed. But she has spurs too!!

5. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Nothing you can do but let nature take its course. No food or interference from humans is going to change their social order.
    Is she laying at this point or is she on a winter break or molting? A non-laying hen that is dominant anyhow is going to fight a rooster tooth and nail before she'll let him mate her.
    Roosters don't get the throne at the top of the pecking order just by virtue of being male; they have to earn the hen's respect. Just like the rooster wants to spread his seed amongst as many hens as he can, a hen wants only the best qualified roos as the sire of her offspring.

6. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

She is laying every day almost. So no break yet.

I have not heard this rooster crow yet could it be he is young still

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Then, in my opinion and as silly as it may sound, he hasn't earned her respect yet.
    Once he matures and starts showing her what a good rooster he is, she's likely to be more receptive to his matings.
    I've spent many years just observing my flocks and how each member of the flock behaves; based on their place in the pecking order. The roosters that are most dominant, yet treat their hens well are the ones the hens follow around and comply with. My best roos have been the ones that not only protect the hens, but also find them yummy things to eat (often beak feeding the hens) and don't force themselves on an unwilling hen.
    Once your young man matures and realizes there are more effective ways to win a hen's heart than just grabbing her and mating, she'll be be receptive.
    Not crowing could be in part that he's not mature yet. Also, if you own other roosters and they are more mature, dominant and crowing, he might not be crowing out of self-preservation. A crow can be a challenge. If he's low on the pecking order and crows, he instinctly knows that a crow out of him is going to draw the attention of the alpha rooster and could result in a beating.

8. piglett

piglett Senior Member

well what happened?
    did the ole boy get the girl?
    or did she kick his butt every day till you removed him?

piglett

9. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

He never came around to ever breeding so he became dinner

10. Bluerooster

Bluerooster New Member

I like to do what I call "bucket Sitting". Where I just sit on a bucket, and watch what th' flock is doing.
    It's quite interesting, and can be very entertaining as well.

11. piglett

piglett Senior Member

that sounds like a good way to do it Blue , welcome to the forum

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I've heard it called Chicken TV. All the channels and no commercials! We have chairs, benches and generally refreshments too.

13. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

It's not easy to watch Chicken TV with refreshments and not end up having the refreshments stolen from you!! :eek:

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

There is sharing involved usually. Generally I bring something for the humans and something else for the chickens. Today they got cheddar cheese, eggshells and diced mushrooms. They got chopped celery and greens yerterday.

15. heb24

heb24 Junior Member

These are some lucky chickens!! I have to admit they are more fun to watch than I ever expected.

16. Jim

Jim New Member

We are lucky, as a lot of the time, we have two chicken channels, there is "the chicken channel" , older chicks, and "chick-a-lodian" composed of new hatch up to "teenagers". :). I sometimes can't decide what Chanel to tune into, so, I watch both.

17. piglett

piglett Senior Member

ha ha ha :D:eek::D

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Chicken TV. All the channels and no commercials! Best way to spend your time. Happy valentines day!