Chicken Forum banner

Hen boxes in the kitchen...

3K views 60 replies 6 participants last post by  Poultry Judge 
#1 ·
So I did this today while I couldn't work outside. The galvanized nest boxes are from my farm junk pile, I fixed the magneto, crank and ringer on the phone and hung it up. Too bad I don't have a land line anymore. The table I made thirty years ago from scrap railroad heavy crating wood. Call it recycling, upcycling or shabby chic, I call it farm junk. I don't know which way the table is better or more functional. I only ever have a couple people for nonprofit meetings.

Property Furniture Shelf Table Picture frame

See less See more
#47 ·
It used to be word of mouth, especially for the therapeutic riding program. Melissa's daughter and grandchildren help occasionally, but we haven't had a volunteer since Fall 2019. When the kids were in 4H and FFA we had kids here all the time looking for 4H projects and what not. We've had kids in vet programs and the local career center, TCTC, has an Equine program. I need to call them this Spring.

#49 ·
Can something be posted in the appropriate place at the college or on the net directed at it?

I know Melissa takes care of much of the online stuff but she might have some ideas. Now that school is back in, is she even getting much time there at Fossil Ledges?
Yes, they require permission. Usually, I speak to the department heads and tell them we are available when their students are looking for projects and field hours. And you are correct, Melissa is busy with school.

#51 ·
I figured or no telling what you could get posted.

I've come across those that write grants in my years living all over the place. But not well enough to even remember any of them.
I have always written the grants for Fossil Ledges. I used to write grants for another animal nonprofit to help them out.

#53 ·
I applied for four last year and one so far this year, we didn't get any. The animal nonprofits are lower priority right now due to the pandemic.

#57 ·
Where I live is the Greater Mahoning Valley area. Trumbull County is the only Ohio County in Appalachia that is not physically connected to other Appalachian counties, because it is so economically depressed. So there are a number of grants available to nonprofits in this area. During the past year they have been concentrating their efforts on Covid relief. I can't really complain about Fossil Ledges not receiving funding when there are food lines and pantries all over Trumbull and Mahoning Counties. But, the animal nonprofits are suffering too.

#58 ·
I know. Not a lot has been said about the animal outfits and how much stress they've been under during this mess. Every once in a while they'll mention an animal rescue/adoption outfit that is hurting more due to the restrictions. Or that the zoos are facing challenges.

But that's a drop in the bucket on how widespread in the issues are in so many arenas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.