Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use hen aprons to protect their hens back from those over zealous roosters?

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Someone here was using them. I know dawg had to get some due to a young rooster and his raging hormones.

I notice you mentioned roosters and not rooster. How many roosters? How many hens? Are they young?

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
Does anyone use hen aprons to protect their hens back from those over zealous roosters?
Welcome to the forum! Tell us about your flock. Our bunch likes pictures too. In answer to your question, I don't know anyone who utilizes them with larger flocks, maybe with very small flocks because they require some maintenance and checking to keep them in place. I'm in Ohio and it's also the worst part of Spring for overzealous roosters, Most of my hens, ninety percent look okay, but I have two which are missing back feathers, a Barred Rock and a Comet. They are also the two who spend the most time in the nesting boxes and act the most broody, at the moment, although we remove the eggs daily. For significant patches of missing feathers, I will use the spray Blukote as that seems to help. Definitely don't use Redkote as it would increase pecking behavior..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts