Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old alpha rooster has been limping for a couple of days. When I checked out his foot, a toe was swollen with a scab. I applied neosporin for a few days and covered it with bandaids. Later, I soaked the feet in warm water containing Epsom salt and the scab around the finger came off. I have been applying neosporin and bandaids as usual while giving antibiotics and painkillers too. The limping has become worse. Also, his knee is swollen. Please help, he’s very important to me!

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
It appears he has a very extensive case of bumblefoot. All of those scabs need to be removed and pus flushed out completely. If it's in his knee he's going to need a broad spectrum antibiotic whether injected or in drinking water to try to clear it.

You're not in the states so I don't know what is available to you in the way of antibiotics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears he has a very extensive case of bumblefoot. All of those scabs need to be removed and pus flushed out completely. If it's in his knee he's going to need a broad spectrum antibiotic whether injected or in drinking water to try to clear it.

You're not in the states so I don't know what is available to you in the way of antibiotics.
I thought the knee swelling was arthritis, you sure it is bumblefoot? Thank me for the reply!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
In the first picture there appears to be scabs on the bottom of the feet and toes. If this is just caked/dried mud and dirt, then yes, it could be arthritis. I have a hen that seems to have viral arthritis, so I can tell you that arthritis has no cure and could be contagious. Should you suspect viral arthritis you may want to consider isolating this rooster from the flock.

I have my hen isolated and so far there have not been any more cases of it or any other leg/feet problems in the flock.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
If it's viral arthritis it will appear in both knees, not just one.

Soak his foot again in Epsom salts. See if those black marks come off or if they're scabs.

It sounds like you know what bumble is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's viral arthritis it will appear in both knees, not just one.

Soak his foot again in Epsom salts. See if those black marks come off or if they're scabs.

It sounds like you know what bumble is.
They’re scabs and they’re not coming off. The swelling is only in one knee and the other one is fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the first picture there appears to be scabs on the bottom of the feet and toes. If this is just caked/dried mud and dirt, then yes, it could be arthritis. I have a hen that seems to have viral arthritis, so I can tell you that arthritis has no cure and could be contagious. Should you suspect viral arthritis you may want to consider isolating this rooster from the flock.

I have my hen isolated and so far there have not been any more cases of it or any other leg/feet problems in the flock.
They’re definitely scabs

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
They have to come off, you have to remove the pus in those pockets under the scabs. Soaking should soften them enough to remove them yourself. All of it or it will never clear.

What will help you with this is to look up bumblefoot on the internet. There are many helpful guides and videos on how to deal with it.

Your bird has a very advanced case and will need more than topical antibiotics.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,790 Posts
The swelling could also be due to an infection spreading- although I couldn’t say for sure from here of course. I think that’s what is being suggested; or the limping is causing some secondary pain or swelling.

It is vital to soak and remove as much as you can from the area with the infection in it before you’ll know more. I wish you all the best, I know how special these boys can be to us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts