Chicken Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do they go in? Do they screw into the bottom of the bucket they way it looks in the first pic? Or do they come apart and put the bottom half in and then screw the top half of the nipple into the bottom half inside the bucket?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! After a few YouTube videos I decided on the first pic. Now if I can get them to drink from them. 11 weeks old and they won't touch them. They are still skiddish and don't trust me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They'll get the hang of it. Give them a few days and then take the other water out and see how they do with it. If they still don't take to it, put the other water back in and keep showing them how.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would go and flick them every so often. Seeing the drop of water on it makes them go after it.
They catch on quick!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They seem to be working now. I have no idea if they used the one I put inside the coop or not but I made them a 6 gallon waterer and put it in the run this morning and they took to it just fine. Also does anybody think the ladder into the coop is too steep? After looking at a few online that were just as steep I decided on it but now I'm thinking of making a little platform and another ladder to help them get up it. Or should it not be a problem when they're older? Right now I hunt them down and put them in the coop

Attachments

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I modified the ladder yesterday. Shortened it so the angle wasn't as steep. A few of them climbed up and down it. 4 were in the coop at dusk last night and 4 were still in the run. When I left for work at 2am this morning all 8 were in the coop sleeping on the roost. I guess it just needed to get cold enough for them to realize they need the coop

·
Banned
825 Posts
I modified the ladder yesterday. Shortened it so the angle wasn't as steep. A few of them climbed up and down it. 4 were in the coop at dusk last night and 4 were still in the run. When I left for work at 2am this morning all 8 were in the coop sleeping on the roost. I guess it just needed to get cold enough for them to realize they need the coop
In my ignorance.....I fail to understand HOW you could make the ramp LESS steep by "shortening it". It seems to me that you would need to lengthen it.

It reminds me of the old construction joke.....where the carpenter said that he didn't understand it. He cut the board twice and it is STILL TOO SHORT !

Ha-Ha !!!
ReTIRED- :D :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
In my ignorance.....I fail to understand HOW you could make the ramp LESS steep by "shortening it". It seems to me that you would need to lengthen it.

It reminds me of the old construction joke.....where the carpenter said that he didn't understand it. He cut the board twice and it is STILL TOO SHORT !

Ha-Ha !!!
ReTIRED- :D :)
I was thinking the same thing..... ? Lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you can't see in the pic is the end of it sticking up in the doorway to the coop. I took a few inches off the ladder and it now sits a few inches below the coop door at less of an angle

·
Registered
159 Posts
Clearcut23 said:
They seem to be working now. I have no idea if they used the one I put inside the coop or not but I made them a 6 gallon waterer and put it in the run this morning and they took to it just fine. Also does anybody think the ladder into the coop is too steep? After looking at a few online that were just as steep I decided on it but now I'm thinking of making a little platform and another ladder to help them get up it. Or should it not be a problem when they're older? Right now I hunt them down and put them in the coop
That is a pretty steep ladder

·
Banned
825 Posts
What you can't see in the pic is the end of it sticking up in the doorway to the coop. I took a few inches off the ladder and it now sits a few inches below the coop door at less of an angle
Again...in my ignorance...this makes NO SENSE at all to me.
( I suppose I'd need to BE THERE and see it ...to understand.)

IF it works....I reckon it is O.K.
-ReTIRED-:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just a thought on the height if your water bucket ... From the pick it seems the chickens are breaking their necks to get at the nipples ... Do you have a way to set it higher? If not how long do you expect to use this set up ... Are you planning another water set up for larger birds?

And nor do I understand the shorter less steep ramp issue ... If the girls are happy with it, everybody is happy with it!!!!!

Just a few thoughts and observations......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shanedavis said:
Just a thought on the height if your water bucket ... From the pick it seems the chickens are breaking their necks to get at the nipples ... Do you have a way to set it higher? If not how long do you expect to use this set up ... Are you planning another water set up for larger birds?

And nor do I understand the shorter less steep ramp issue ... If the girls are happy with it, everybody is happy with it!!!!!

Just a few thoughts and observations......
I adjusted the height of the bucket after I saw them almost falling down to drink from it. I was able to change the angle of the ladder by making it shorter because the end of the ladder on the ground was tight against the wall of the run and the coop end of the ladder was almost in the middle of the door.

Imagine resting your elbow on a floor and bending your arm to rest it against the wall at an angle with your fingers extended. Now without moving your elbow close your fingers into a fist. The angle your arm is at changes.

·
rich386
83 Posts
The two main drawbacks to vertical nipples are problems with leaking. The second is putting the pail down to fill it. Horizontal nipples can mount in pails, PVC or tubing. Need nore info. contact me [email protected]

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts