Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the chicken scene I have two chickens at 5 weeks, I have noticed that one of my chickens was losing feathers after further examining both of them they have mites I went to the feed store and got the test to take care of it but apparently is not working they are still pecking themself I really need help Is there a spray I can use on top of the powder that I can also spray the coop?

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Five weeks? That's young to have mites and it's going to be hard to treat since they aren't developed enough to withstand the chemicals.

I need more information about them. Like where did you get them from? A private breeder? Were they outside where they could be exposed to mites?

Did you treat their brooder too?

What are you using on them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Five weeks? That's young to have mites and it's going to be hard to treat since they aren't developed enough to withstand the chemicals.

I need more information about them. Like where did you get them from? A private breeder? Were they outside where they could be exposed to mites?

Did you treat their brooder too?

What are you using on them?
Tractor supply store put them in the yard when it was warm For about 30 mins at a time them brought them in they have not been in coop cause it warm during day and cold at night. Going to scrub and treat their box today

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
The safest option after cleaning their brooder is to bath them in warm water with baby shampoo. It will kill the mites and is about the safest thing I can think of.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Odd things people think about when they're in the shower.

Your peeps might also be experiencing feather growth. It gets itchy and uncomfortable. About like a baby teething.

So, unless you absolutely saw the movement of mites that could be what is going on with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts