Help with chicks!

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by brookeee2013, Dec 21, 2012.

1. brookeee2013

brookeee2013 New Member

Okay so I have a 2 day old chick and he is the one who had the tumor thing. It is now gone but I've noticed that he seems to be a lot weaker than the others. And that he doesn't have much use of his left leg. What should I do? Will he get stronger? Another thing, there was a chick that was not hatching very well so 24 hours later I helped it out. I got it halfway out but it was even too weak for that. Now he's in the incubator laying on a towel just chirping. Not making any effort to move around. Is this normal? Will he get stronger? Also, his belly is like a bubble. There was a lot of blood in his egg. Everytime he chirps, it's like part of his umbilical cord comes out. This is my first time hatching and I've already lost one and I don't wanna lose another ):

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

This little chick sounds malformed. Euthanasia might be your best option. Blood?!?! Maybe post some pics to help us help you. Doesn't sound promising.

3. Kellence

Kellence New Member

With his belly being like a bubble it sounds like it needed longer in the egg and that it hasn't fully absorbed the yolk and will be week as not fully formed and with a lot of blood too think this may be the case i think you will loose it :-( keep us informed

4. piglett

piglett Senior Member

keep him warm & hope for the best
    i hate to say it but most problem chicks were the ones that were "helped"
    i'm not saying you should not ever help
    just saying there is a much better chance that
    a helped chick will have some kind of problems

good luck
    piglett

5. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Guessing both are dead by now but if not you should "cull" them! I find the easiest and fastest way to dispatch a day old chick or those up to a couple of weeks old is to simply snap their neck. By placing the chicks neck between the index finger and thumb then "pinch" you can quickly dispatch them!