Help wanted

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Ralph, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Well, I am new to this site and am pretty desperate to know what is going on. My wife and I run an animal sanctuary and we have chickens, ducks geese and turkeys all in the same area. But our chickens are dying. My wife caught a male turkey raping a chicken a few weeks ago so we moved all suspect male turkeys into another field. So today we found another chicken dead. Does anyone know if the drakes or ganders can cause this? The ganders seem idle enough and keep to themselves. The drakes have plenty of females.Has anyone come across this problem?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yes, one of our forum members said that male drakes can kill a chicken trying to breed it.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

I’ve heard that too, never seen it. Anatomical differences between the species can cause fatal trauma to the hens. It would help us to understand the problem if you showed us some photos of the dead hen.

4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! What kind of turkey, what kind of chickens? How much room did they have when this was happening? I'd be interested in hearing more about your sanctuary too.