Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!! :eek: I have a Sneaky Chicken Snake in my hen house. We went on a trip for the weekend and left a friend in charge of taking care of them and he said day before yesterday, he saw a 4 and 1/2 foot chicken snake. By the time he got The Judge out, the snake slithered off.

Today, I went out with my 22 pistol in one hand and a powerful flashlight in the other. I didn't see any snake out there. How do I kill this sneaky snake?? I let the ladies out then really looked and searched around.

ANY advise would be great. Thank you!!

cleanheart :cool:

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Mothballs can keep them away...you can place them inside pieces of panty hose to keep the chickens from eating them, though I've never seen one of mine try to eat one.

Keep food waste off the floors of the coop and run, feed only in feeders and don't leave out feed at night. Mice and rats draw snakes.

Some place deer netting around the base of the coop...seems the snakes don't like crawling over it and even become tangled in it when they try to enter/leave the coop.

Sulfur powder is supposed to keep them from entering the coop, though I've never tried it.

Collect eggs each evening. Some place golf balls in the nests and report that the snakes will die when they eat them and cannot digest them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. The minnow trap idea sounds really interesting. My neighbor told me that he used to have snake issues when he owned chickens. He said that he would put a golf ball in the nest. When the snake would suck down the golf ball, it couldn't get back out of the hole it came in through. I think I would prefer the minnow trap or the deer netting myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts