Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my one year Serama hen dead this morning. She was acting just a little off yesterday. On examining her her crop was almost empty, just a tiny bit palpable. Her breast bone was prominent. I did not feel any thing in the vent. I did notice shiny eggs and a few tiny bugs around her vent, none any where else on her body.

Liver Fawn Companion dog Dog breed Beak

Finger Fawn Whiskers Bird Snout

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
From the description of her keel she's probably not been right for a while. Without a necropsy no one here can even venture a guess as to what was wrong.

Are you saying you found them after she died? If so, then she probably had a heavy load because the bugs leave once the host is dead. An over load of mites can kill. They can cause anemia.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I check some of my other Seramas but didn't see any mites on them. I will dust them all and the coop. I didn't notice any mites in the coop either.
I guess because the Serama are so tiny, it wouldn't take as many mites to make them anemic.
My heart is broken. She was one of my first Serama. I take really good care of my chickens.

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
The mites will also take advantage of a bird in a weakened state. So, its entirely possible that something else hit her first and they came second.

Many time it does not matter how well we care for them, if something is not right with them internally there is little or nothing we can do to fix it. Maybe 20 years from now when there is better vet backup but right now?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
When I lost my EE a year ago, she was already sick when I got her. Problem didn't show itself until it was way too late and all I could do was try to keep her comfortable - and the mites - oh my! They came out of no where and thankfully she had already been isolated from the others prior. Still treated the coop, run, and other chickens just in case. Chickens like most animals, are so good at hiding any health issues they are having that its very hard to notice sometimes. Try not to feel bad. Know she had a good home with someone who cared for her very much so that makes her one lucky girl and I bet she knew that too. :)

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
There are several different types of mites and lice that will find our birds handy hosts. It is necessary when they're found to begin eradication since they can kill if the numbers get to high.

There are multiple treatments out there to take care of them. Most are off label use since they've never bothered to see what is safe and what isn't. A good, deep sand pit is one of the best things going for keeping mites in check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts