Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 chickens that are free ranging, the eldest has not been herself for a few months now, I put it down to her getting old (she’s 6) however about a month ago I noticed she was having loose stools and walking very slowly. She isn’t egg bound but the eggs she is laying are very dirty. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a dark patch on her beak, at first I thought it was mud but it’s now spread quite rapidly., she is very lethargic and her stools are really runny and she is spending a lot of time laying down. I have tried all the local vets and none have anyone that deals with exotic pets ( I didn’t know a chicken was classed as exotic) but they will help for euthanasia! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
I'm going to see if @dawg53 has any ideas. On the one pic it made me think of mite dirt but on the first pic it doesn't.

Have you checked for mites?

When you say the eggs are dirty what exactly do you mean? They shouldn't be able to get dirty unless they're laid in the dirt. If it's coming from her I would be looking closer for mites.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I agree with Robin. Inspect her closely for lice/mites, especially around her vent area. If there are feces stuck to her feathers near her vent, wash it off and look for maggots. There's the possibility of fly strike.
Additionally, I recommend that you worm her with Flubenvet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thank you for your replies, Sadly my beautiful girl Nancy passed away this morning, cuddled up in a towel in my arms. I had checked for mites, but there were none and she was wormed regularly. The other 2 look the picture of health so I don’t know what to think. Could it just have been old age? I’m just worried something will happened to the other 2 now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thank you for your replies, I have checked her for mites and the run and nothing but I do a deep clean twice a week and I clean where they perch daily. The layer pellets they have are Verm-x and they also have it in the water. I have never wormed them separately I thought this covered everything. Her bottom is constantly dirty and I have bathed her in Epsom salt water several times over the last few weeks (she loves it and sleeps in the warm water!) I will try the flubevevt and will order it today. the other 2 that she lives with are the picture of health

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Hi thank you for your replies, I have checked her for mites and the run and nothing but I do a deep clean twice a week and I clean where they perch daily. The layer pellets they have are Verm-x and they also have it in the water. I have never wormed them separately I thought this covered everything. Her bottom is constantly dirty and I have bathed her in Epsom salt water several times over the last few weeks (she loves it and sleeps in the warm water!) I will try the flubevevt and will order it today. the other 2 that she lives with are the picture of health
Just for your information, Verm-x isnt a wormer. Flubenvet is a very good wormer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,168 Posts
Hi thank you for your replies, Sadly my beautiful girl Nancy passed away this morning, cuddled up in a towel in my arms. I had checked for mites, but there were none and she was wormed regularly. The other 2 look the picture of health so I don’t know what to think. Could it just have been old age? I’m just worried something will happened to the other 2 now.
I’m so sorry for your loss rest in peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts