Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black cochin frizzle rooster that I have had since he was in the egg. I noticed today that his feet are red and irritated I think. Not sure if he may have got into an ant bed or if something else is going on. Some info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there something I can put on them or is this normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I've never delt with it, I googled images of inflamed scaly mites and the images looked like your pic. I would google scaly mite and treatement. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
If you have ivermectin, you can treat scaly mites with that empirically. Ivermectin dose is usually 0.2 mg/kg. It does look like bites or irritation (burn etc.). Try soap and water first and gently towel dry. Then try a little Benedryl by mouth. Liquid is generally 12 mg/ml or 12 mg/5 mls - 2.5 mg/ml right? Read the bottle. Dose is generally 1-2 mg per pound of body weight. Remember chickens are generally pretty light. 6-10 pounds. If it's not better let me know. Either here or Private Message. Benedryl is pretty safe stuff so just give a little and see how it looks in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Energyvet said:
If you have ivermectin, you can treat scaly mites with that empirically. Ivermectin dose is usually 0.2 mg/kg. It does look like bites or irritation (burn etc.). Try soap and water first and gently towel dry. Then try a little Benedryl by mouth. Liquid is generally 12 mg/ml or 12 mg/5 mls - 2.5 mg/ml right? Read the bottle. Dose is generally 1-2 mg per pound of body weight. Remember chickens are generally pretty light. 6-10 pounds. If it's not better let me know. Either here or Private Message. Benedryl is pretty safe stuff so just give a little and see how it looks in the morning.
I have ivermectin that I use to worm my goats is that the same as what you are talking about?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts