Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RIR rooster that is a yr old and has 13 hens but doesn't seem to be satisfied. He actually killed one hen and I am afraid he is after another one. I bought chicks this spring and they are getting big enough to turn out but I am afraid he will start picking on them. What is my best plan of attack? Put him in time out away from the flock or get rid of him.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would turn him into stew ! I dont tolerate aggressive rooster on my property. I would them get a new rooster to take his place.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Chicken for dinner ... stew, pot pie or with dumplings.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok I have a barred rock roo who when I let out to roam will attack me I have to carry a stick with me. He is great with his girls but I think he is jealous of me cause the girls fallow me around the yard at times can any one help.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
See post number 2 & 3 ... :)

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well problem solved: someone posted on a local fb page for poultry they were looking for a rooster and some hens because they had a fox raid. Let that rooster mess with a fox! I SOLD HIM LAST WEEK got $10 for him. Girls and Chicky Doodle the Ameracauna are all happy now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok I have a barred rock roo who when I let out to roam will attack me I have to carry a stick with me. He is great with his girls but I think he is jealous of me cause the girls fallow me around the yard at times can any one help.
That's the problem! There's no cure except ignore the girls or make stew. And now that the pattern is set, even just being outside will likely trigger him. Stew is likely the answer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think I'm gonna separate him just with a couple of hens and put them in a chicken tractor that I can move around and I will pick up a new roo he's so good with his girls it would be sad to get rid of him.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we had a male turkey that had taken to a group of chicken hens and would chase us in the barn, our cure was to raise a foot and yell football and he would back off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts