Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a new coop and my buff rock will not lay in it. We still have the old coop in the backyard but I've closed the hatch so she can't get in, but when she goes to lay around 1, she frantically looks for a way to get in the old coop. She went into the new coop and stayed for about 20 minutes, but then she came out and started trying to get into the other one again. I feel so bad that I end up opening the old one and she jumps right in. How do I get her to lay in the new coop? Does she need transition time?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yep, most likely. Just keep her in the new coop for a week to train her to the new coop and nests and it should work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So should I keep her closed in the coop and not let her roam the yard? Obviously I would have to do that for both of my chickens.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
So should I keep her closed in the coop and not let her roam the yard? Obviously I would have to do that for both of my chickens.
Yeah...all the chickens go on lock down when even one is laying out or doesn't want to sleep in the coop. It doesn't hurt them...they don't like it but it's only temporary, so they can just tough it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts