Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look this is a liget emergency, no joke. My hen sero is in big trouble. My chickens were screaming right so i go out and check. Nothing is out of the ordinary. But it was a bit seeing the adults also ran into the goat house. I go back out and open the door (we have auto we need to reset the time) and in the corner I see sero. I go over to her, she's missing feathers and she won't open her eyes. I bring her up to the house and check her over. Under one of her ear covers I see blood. She opened her eyes when I did that. Her other ear is not bleeding. We cleaned that cover and put blu kote on it. When we put her back down she did that cooing face. I have learned chickens do that when they are in a lot of pain. We only have one crate and sugar cookie is sick. So we put sero out in the rooster house. I am trying to find her something so she can be inside. I don't know what to do now. Please help me save my baby. If we need to we will cull her, I don't want her to suffer.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dissolve a 325 mg aspirin in a gallon of water. That will help with pain.

Is the cage large enough for both girls? It would help them both since they'll have company.
It's a crate for a medium small dog, it needs to be cleaned but still kinda big. I want sero inside so I can watch her and sugar has to be inside because I have to give her medicine at 6:25 am. Any how it should be big enough. But do you think sese will get sick as well. And sugar is very peaky sometimes.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's a crate for a medium small dog, it needs to be cleaned but still kinda big. I want sero inside so I can watch her and sugar has to be inside because I have to give her medicine at 6:25 am. Any how it should be big enough. But do you think sese will get sick as well. And sugar is very peaky sometimes.
This is the crate
Picture frame Flooring Floor Wood Comfort

Reactions: DeLuc

· Registered
178 Posts
Unless the other chickens are picking at the wound, I would put her back in with the flock. They seem to get more stressed when they're isolated. That Blu Kote really seems to deter them from picking. Do what you can for the pain as Robin suggested, but if she was attacked by something, I wouldn't find it unusual for her to be a bit out of it for a day or so. Give her some time, and she'll likely come out of it on her own.

I had a chicken this summer who looked like something had ripped the back of her neck open. Skin flayed, bloody, very gruesome. I cleaned her up, put some Blu Kote on it, and I did isolate her for a bit, but she was getting stressed, so I put her back with the flock. After a couple of weeks and cleaning when needed, the wound was well scabbed. That spot is still a bit bare today, but she's completely healed. Chickens can recover from some rather gnarly looking injuries, so don't count her out just yet!

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I put her into the crate last night. But this morning I came out and she had died. Either of her injury or she choked because she had straw all caught up in her beak. She was still warm but not worth trying to bring back. I don't want her to suffer so a new chicken added to my feather frames. Rest in peace sero I will miss your goofy ways.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm so sorry, Chick. She must have had internal injuries you couldn't see. At least she wasn't alone.
Honestly she reminds me of dove. You will never understand stand how much they mean to you till you don't have them. She died in the massacre this year, dove. I know she was comfortable but it still hurts knowing I could of saved them. Even if they are comfortable it still hurts. I made a promise to her she will never be alone and I kept that. She died with sugar and I have her next to un framed feathers. Honestly sero was one of my best hens. I will miss her and how she let me victory boop her, I saw her a few hours earlier and she was just fine. I know better then anyone. Everything can go down hill very quickly or vice versa. Well I know she was comfortable when she died.
Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Plant
Bird Beak Comb Galliformes Poultry

· Registered
475 Posts
It's obvious how much they mean to you.
Your right, they mean a lot to me. I know each and every one of them. I watch them do what they do best. I know each one by heart. I understand them more then anyone else. Then there's my brother who has the audacity to say they are "just chickens". There more to me no one will know the true existent of a chicken untill they have been with them long enough. A good example is the one I have put below that is grace, who is now named shylo, he is a big baby much like his dad who is hazelnut who is the biggest dorkyest rooster that ever did live. I get that they are kinda dumb, but they have personality they are there own unique individual. A lot like people, I have noticed, they even have there own fears and confidence. Anyone who says they aren't complicated animals are wrong they are much like us and I will always hold that true.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Eye Cat Leg Felidae Human body

• Love
Reactions: robin416

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right, they mean a lot to me. I know each and every one of them. I watch them do what they do best. I know each one by heart. I understand them more then anyone else. Then there's my brother who has the audacity to say they are "just chickens". There more to me no one will know the true existent of a chicken untill they have been with them long enough. A good example is the one I have put below that is grace, who is now named shylo, he is a big baby much like his dad who is hazelnut who is the biggest dorkyest rooster that ever did live. I get that they are kinda dumb, but they have personality they are there own unique individual. A lot like people, I have noticed, they even have there own fears and confidence. Anyone who says they aren't complicated animals are wrong they are much like us and I will always hold that true.
That photo is a chick snuggling me idk why it's rated 18 and older? But ok

· Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
This is when being on the mod team sucks. I can't see what you're seeing. I'm guessing some AI thinks it's a questionable pic for some reason.

It's not just your brother. Most out there think the same way he does. It's not so much they're dumb, it's more they don't think like we do.
Yes, probably the algorithm.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, probably the algorithm.
If you want my honest opinion, then screw the algorithm. I will think what I think and do what I want when it comes to chickens. The algorithm is in dier need to be changed. I feel that people need to open there eyes and see how much chickens really care, and not just those birds every animal that are not on the favor of the algorithm.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you misunderstood. I was talking about the algorithm misunderstanding the pic of the peep cuddling with you.
Ahhh but anyways the actual algorithm of people need to be changed and that stupid ai as well

· Registered
159 Posts
Unless the other chickens are picking at the wound, I would put her back in with the flock. They seem to get more stressed when they're isolated. That Blu Kote really seems to deter them from picking. Do what you can for the pain as Robin suggested, but if she was attacked by something, I wouldn't find it unusual for her to be a bit out of it for a day or so. Give her some time, and she'll likely come out of it on her own.

I had a chicken this summer who looked like something had ripped the back of her neck open. Skin flayed, bloody, very gruesome. I cleaned her up, put some Blu Kote on it, and I did isolate her for a bit, but she was getting stressed, so I put her back with the flock. After a couple of weeks and cleaning when needed, the wound was well scabbed. That spot is still a bit bare today, but she's completely healed. Chickens can recover from some rather gnarly looking injuries, so don't count her out just yet!
So true. Culling should not be the solution. Give them a chance to live even if you can't help. I gave my puppy that chance after trying my best. Although it finally died.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts