Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our two chickens has had diarrhea for awhile. She was otherwise behaving fine. this morning she was lying on the coup floor.
I brought her out into the pen but no activity. We have no professional small livestock vets available. Her sister is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About. 2-1/2 years. They’re in a decent sized coup in a 10 x10 enclosure. She’s a Golden Comet.
They eat Kalmbach layer crumbles, and get occasional treats.
I also try to let them out a couple times a week, and sit with them so they can peck around in the grass.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I suspect it might be an ecoli infection. Baytril will treat it. Baytril 10% liquid dose is 0.05ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5 days.
Here's where you can order it:

In the meantime, I recommend mixing cooked plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk in her feed to eat. The plain boiled rice will settle her innards and the buttermilk will coat her digestive tract slowing the effects of infection until you get the Baytril.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Birds get ecoli bacterial infections mainly from picking up and swallowing fecal matter. It could be anywhere, in bedding, feed, water, on soil etc...
It happens, I've dealt with it. My birds are penned all the time. I clean coops in the morning, scoop poop several times a day. Waterers checked daily, cleaned and changed out as needed. Some of my waterers and all feeders are hung so birds cant poop in them.
Fortunately I've only had to deal with ecoli only a few times. Dont waste time, buy the Baytril or you might lose your chicken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts