Help Identifying Predator

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by Craftincowgirl, Jul 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Craftincowgirl

Craftincowgirl New Member

I have lost 2 hens in the past week. The first hen was lost in the early morning after the sun rose. All that was left was her head, some feathers, and a small pile of inerds. The 2nd hen was lost sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 this morning. Whatever it was left the head and wings behind. I'm perplexed, as we have a dog (who is not the culprit) and there is no barking or noise. Whatever it is goes under his radar. My chickens are free range during the day. They were taken in the middle of the yard near the house. Any ideas?? I am going to start locking them up until I can hopefully figure this out! The two hens were taken about a week apart.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

3. waterwelldude

waterwelldude New Member

Here is a thought. I had something eating my birds a few years back, and I had no idea what it was.
    I took a 4x8 sheet of plywood with some tuna as bait and set in the center. I covered the wood with dust and some loose dirt. the next
    morning I found the tracks of a coon. Coons will also leave the head.
    The coon has been moved to a new home.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I like my trail cam for id ...

Guess I'm just getting lazy. :D but it works. lol

5. Craftincowgirl

Craftincowgirl New Member

This is a great idea! Thank you! We did catch a skunk in a live trap a couple days later. Not sure if this was the culprit or not.

6. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

A word of caution 'relocating' predators of your chickens.

#1 In some locales (like the State of Michigan) it is illegal to move nuiscence animals.
    #2 Do you really want to give your nuiscence animal to create a problem to someone else?

I do in any predators I catch.

7. waterwelldude

waterwelldude New Member

I don't see any reason to kill an animal that is acting on instincts, unless they are trying to eat me.:eek:
    As far as moving them. They get moved to the river bottom about ten miles away. Where I take them there are no people for miles around.

8. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

The kids and I caught a mamma coon in a live trap a few months ago. It had been living in my barn with its 5 babies. No chickens were harmed during her stay. We took them 15 miles south to have a second chance. My children learned how to respect life while protecting whats ours. If there had been no baby coons and chickens started to disappear it would have been a different outcome. The lesson learned would have been sometimes you have to do something you dont want to do, but it does save our chickens from being lost.

9. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Just saying that's illegal in Michigan, unless you are releasing them on state owned land. I also prefer not to have my problem become someone else's.

But again, I grew up on a dairy farm, and it was not uncommon for dogs and cats to get dropped off "because they have a farm" ;)

10. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

I had a skunk slinking in and got two of mine a couple weeks ago.... the dog got the skunk!!! GOOD DOG!

11. waterwelldude

waterwelldude New Member

That poor dog.

If anyone is interested, baby powder, or sulfur powder helps remove the skunk spray.

12. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Middle of the day, close to the house attacks can also be dogs. Bears were my biggest noon nuisance. They just sat down in the middle of the yard for lunch and left a very clean kill site, no guts or feathers scattered the way foxes/coyotes/dogs do.

13. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

Thank you very much for that link, Apyl.
    I have saved it to my favorites and also printed out a hard copy.