Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL I can't believe you're trying to post here and moving at the same time. Good luck with that.
And pics of the homestead would be fun to see.
Happy to send pictures somewhere down the line. But for the moving thing . . . gray hair is now white, I tell you! EVERY SINGLE THING has gone wrong with this move but it's a year-long (plus) story that would easily become a novel that no one would want to read it!!! Okay, maybe Chevy Chase and company. Never venture a move during covid or anything else the government has in for you; "us." That's rule 1.

But being without desktop, dishes, and sanity allows me to read ALL my mail and binge watch the one unpacked TV between taping boxes. I also have spent hours researching this and that and designed my coop to fit 4 seasons and all the girl comforts we girls should have. What fun! I'll send those pictures down the line too. I'm hoping there is Christmas in the Coop online somewhere (someone did it before and I fell over laughing and now my sister wants to visit and make crazy chicken ornaments and stuff for the sheer fun of it!). Sooooo, there's that.
Roll with the punches and learn to surf?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hear you, but in my family, we were all born with highway shoes on and it's cruel to tempt fate when afflicted. I had wanted to live in all 50 states, but I was too unemployable for that kind of expense. So I'd set off to vacation without much more than a few bucks and plenty of determination. I'm actually rolling on the balls of my toes to GO. Again, it's a family thing or an astrological thing, I'm sure. Yes, it's out of state. Can't help myself. It's too expensive to buy acreage just anywhere. I did look--let's say around--and ended up near hobbies since the places that whispered my name were way out of my league or too far from what I needed to have. Does that make ANY sense to you, homebound one (I totally get it, I just don't have it).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kindred spirits. It's hard to stay rooted. Then I'll get rooted and want to stay. Then the old me comes to the surface once again and taunts me, beckons me, begs me. I just feel that I have things to do. It always boils down to that. And movers become fearless early in their lives (I'm guessing that's you too) and so I formulate all the things I still want to do and find a location where I can do them. People are lucky if they can stay still and be able to do what they want to do. I do as much as I can and then crave more. So . . .on to MORE!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah. Well said. Maybe that is the fate of those who lived through chronic upheaval?

How to do it? The way I look at the right place is to figure out what I want to do and what I simple must do. Okay, so you probably have that imprinted onto your brain. Then you have to figure out the terrain and climate you would like. You also need to consider hospitals, airports, schools, groceries, etc. Check political maps so you remain amongst like minds. Check crime stats. Subscribe to Zillow for all the places that appeal to you if the cost of buying land/home is still in your ballpark in the cities you like. Check city populations, cost of living comparisons, tax rates and whatever else will impact your life and finances. And find out what the city does for holidays. Your town may have endless parades and road closures, marathons, etc. that you may or may not want. Sometimes you have to look at services available for aging or disability or assistance, as many states cannot offer what you need if you need and want it.

Then plant yourself in front of Google Maps until you have a number of places that should be good and hits all your must haves. Forget perfect as the trick about Google Maps is that you can cruise down all the streets in a town you love online but it may not look or feel the same when you get there (been there, done that). Then vacation in the areas that appeal to you. Be realistic: if you are dying to live in Hawaii and live in NY, then compromise to FL. Or at least have that in mind. I found doing this takes at least 5 years. This was a whole lot easier when FindYourSpot,com was in operation! I sorely miss them.

Having said all this, I wish I had traveled through West Virginia, but didn't. So it'll go on my future exploration for vacation or whatever.

So if you do get the fever ever again, I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
LOL Many of my moves were on a whim. Tired of being here but visited there one weekend. OK pack up and head to the weekend place. No job, no place to live towing a kid along with me. It worked out really well. Kid grows up, leaves, meet the man who becomes hubs. Visit another state on weekend and decided to move there. The last place before this one was great for isolation, open water and open land but the rest was lacking. This one was carefully chosen for what was easily available. Medical being top of mind.

I can say this was a good move. If it wasn't I probably would be packing up again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you looked at d'Uccles?
I hear they are awesome birds!
I have a list of large egg layers that are good in both heat and cold that I can't wait to order after I get the coop up and the run organized with lots of perches and fun activities. Do, I figure that I'll get a variety of chicks in Spring.

I built in a plan for chicks in the "feed" side of the coop and the chickens on the other side, as I divided the coop in half. But I'll upload pictures after it's done. It sounds too awkward to describe.

Everything in our home has been picked up and I'll have Internet for a few more days before we head out of town. So if I go silent, that's why.

oh...news: my best friend wants to give me her camera! Mine died (the internal battery) so I'll be able to take decent pictures of the girls and the grounds throughout the whole process! Yeah! Portraits! 🐔🐥🐤🐑🌱🐾

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you aware our new phones are excellent at taking pics? I don't even own a camera anymore.
YES. my phone is wonky when it comes to photos. I have seen great phone photos but not on mine.
But I really like getting out there and taking pictures. I used to go out every weekend. I even learned the secret of tinkling out in the wilds! I made stuff from the photos too. I hope to do it all again . . .and remember, a friend (my weekend photo buddy) is giving me her extra camera! Digital, mirrorless! YEAH! And does the word NIKON make a person smile? YES! Don't you worry, I'll take some fun chicken pictures, flowers, etc. and upload some here.
Travel safe if you get all busy before hitting the road. How long do you think it will take to get there?
Thank you! We'll be caravanning at a quiet time on a quiet day to avoid traffic. This is an all day drive. G-r-r-r! We'll stop to walk the dogs. But I am thrilled to be working out my new life!
Robin, are YOU the moderator here?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts