Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
First look I thought I saw some gamebird there. But for a change I really can't tell. She might have been kept in a small cage and wore her feathers off.

Her markings are interesting. I agree she is pretty but now you need another bird so she has company of her own kind. Is there a bit of tuft on her head? She's probably a mix of some kind.

I'll see if @fuzzies or @imnukensc have any idea on her breed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First look I thought I saw some gamebird there. But for a change I really can't tell. She might have been kept in a small cage and wore her feathers off.

Her markings are interesting. I agree she is pretty but now you need another bird so she has company of her own kind. Is there a bit of tuft on her head? She's probably a mix of some kind.

I'll see if @fuzzies or @imnukensc have any idea on her breed.
Thanks!
She is with our mixed flock. No tuft on her head.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think she's a mix with some game bird in there, too. At first glance, I was thinking cream leg bar, and there may be some of that in the mix, too, but without the head tuft, I'm just not sure.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
There are birds called American Game Birds. They are very popular with some breeders. They also, unfortunately, are a breed used for fighting because the males can be so violently territorial.

If the girl you found was a full game bird you might see her bullying the other hens to make herself top bird.

All of that said, they are a great breed to have as lawn ornaments. My neighbor's game rooster ended up here at my house hanging with my Guineas. He was a good boy. Not mean to people at all. He had a chance to have his own haram so the neighbor and I both agreed he could go have his own flock. I missed him for quite a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great information! She’s not bullying any other chickens yet. She pretty much stays to herself. I want to try to clip her wing so she’ll stop flying into the trips and escaping the chicken yard. This is the first night she’s gone into the coop with the other girls.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
You might not have to clip them once she realizes she has a home. She might escape the yard during the day but she'll be ready to go in with the rest at night. Give her a little time to see how she settles.

The signs of game bird are barely there. She may never try to bully her way to the top of the flock.

Oh, I'll bet you're wondering what we saw. Legs. Yes, her legs are a bit longer than other birds. The compact body is sort of there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
She honestly looks more like a Light Brown Leghorn or Leghorn mix to me. I can't tell if I'm seeing blue feathering or just worn out feathering. It'll be easier to say for sure once she's had a molt and regrown all those worn out feathers.

Editing, after a closer look, I'm going to say Leghorn mix for now, but do post an update after she's molted some feathers and regrown them!

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
She absolutely does have some gorgeous coloring. I've never seen one quite like her. That black popping up here and there makes her look even more interesting.

I just realized it says you're in LA, talk about game bird country. I'm in SE AL, same thing here. They are the most popular birds for backyard flocks here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 45258
View attachment 45257
We picked her up in a grocery store parking lot. She’s flighty and likes to sleep in trees. She’s very puny and looks like her tails feathers have been chewed on. She’s a pretty girl though. Thanks!
View attachment 45258
View attachment 45257
We picked her up in a grocery store parking lot. She’s flighty and likes to sleep in trees. She’s very puny and looks like her tails feathers have been chewed on. She’s a pretty girl though. Thanks!
I went through my database of 231 breeds. Several breeds came close but were discarded due to egg color or comb type. These included the Bielefelder, Ayam Pelung, and Flarry Eye Grey. Then, one rose to the top; Leghorn (Mediterranean breed): This may be the one. This breed has many different colors. But,take a gander at the silver Leghorn pic that I found on-line somewhere. Large white eggs, has a single or rose comb, does well in the heat, avoids human contact if possible, prefers to nest in trees, Yellow legs, does well in confinement. With continuous clean water and the proper poultry feed, this girl will be fine. Great egg layers by the way. You have yourself a keeper!
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Galliformes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went through my database of 231 breeds. Several breeds came close but were discarded due to egg color or comb type. These included the Bielefelder, Ayam Pelung, and Flarry Eye Grey. Then, one rose to the top; Leghorn (Mediterranean breed): This may be the one. This breed has many different colors. But,take a gander at the silver Leghorn pic that I found on-line somewhere. Large white eggs, has a single or rose comb, does well in the heat, avoids human contact if possible, prefers to nest in trees, Yellow legs, does well in confinement. With continuous clean water and the proper poultry feed, this girl will be fine. Great egg layers by the way. You have yourself a keeper!
View attachment 45290
Awesome!!! Thanks so much 🥰

1 - 20 of 51 Posts