Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in a residential area and want to protect the mom and ducklings from traffic and predators. Also nearest natural habitat is about 6 blocks away. Eggs laid 1-2 weeks ago. Don't know what to expect or if there is anything I can do to help. Open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Leave them alone. Momma will come back if she is still around. I'm assuming these are wild duck eggs ? Or are they your ducks. Are you sure they are duck eggs ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
Leave them alone. Momma will come back if she is still around. I'm assuming these are wild duck eggs ? Or are they your ducks. Are you sure they are duck eggs ?
Momma duck is around and lays on the eggs almost all day. Seems content. I assume she's a mallard as I saw her near the male last week. I have set out food and water for her. Just put a poultry fence around my garden that is right under my front picture window to keep predators out and the ducklings in once they hatch. Just trying to help protect her and the ducklings so they all make it to a safe habitat in the near future.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Sounds like you will have a very thankful momma for all you have done for her. Even wild animals know kindness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7chicks said:
Sounds like you will have a very thankful momma for all you have done for her. Even wild animals know kindness.
Thank you! I feel so fortunate to have this going on right in front if my eyes!!! Should I be prepared with food for the ducklings? If so - what do they eat? And how is the best way to provide them with water?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I would let mom take care of this for the most part. If you offer water, it needs to be in very shallow dish or babies can drown.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
If she is coming and going she is at the begining of sitting. She will get up and find food then go back, she won't sit wihtout getting up until she's been with the eggs for 25 days. I would not feed her if she is wild, you will hamper her survival skills if she starts realying on humans for food. She will be fine is the bushes on her own. I would remove the fence and let her be. One of my mallard mommas layed and sat in a brush pile, we live in the woods in Wisconsin with all kinds of predators. Not a single one found her. The last thing you should do is mess with her, you could aggrevate her and scare her away from the eggs. -- But of course that is my opinion on the matter.

Also do NOT feed the babies inless you plan to keep them. You do not want them getting use to feed otherwise they wont go get their own food. Momma will show them how to forage to survive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts