HELP! how Do I Go on Vacation and Have My Hens Taken Care Of?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by SCYankees, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

Ok, so I know we should have thought about this before we bought our laying hens. We are going on vacation for a week, and I worried about how we can have our hens taken care of while we are gone. Any suggestions, or experiences, ideas? We have a 5 gal. waterer, but the water gets grungy after a couple of days and we have a large feeder. It's the eggs and the hens safety I am mostly concerned about.

Anyone in the same boat as me? If so, how do you handle traveling and leaving the girls at home?

Pat:confused:

2. twentynine

twentynine New Member

I use a pet sitter. A real pet sitter, not a high school kid that promises to come over and look after your chickens if they have time, or remember to. I use a real deal, bonded and insured, pet sitter. She takes care of the horses, chickens, two dogs and crazy house cat. Visits twice daily, cost about $25 per day.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's your best option. Pet sitter who is s bonafide business.

4. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

neighbor or friend close by? my landlord lives next door to me so we take care of each others animals.. but if she wasnt here, a neighbor would come.. i personally would totally go for a high school kid, all the kids i know are great ranch/farm kids around here... but then thats here... lol

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I was thinking 4H kids.

6. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I wondered the same thing as I journied into chickenland. (Things people don't take into consideration before getting chickens) Who's gonna watch the chickens when we go on vacation. I have dogs, who I use my oldest daughter to babysit them. but sometimes there are conflicting schedules. I'm not dissing you, just bringing up a valuable lesson to future chicken moms. I do hope you find someone to watch them for you!!

If I can't find a sitter, which happens sometimes, I bring the dogs with. I am also worried about next year, when I do the most camping. Seriously considering bring them with if I can't find a sitter. LOL I think the main concern would be to find someone who can check on them, feed them, and fill water bowl. Clean up the coop when you get home.

7. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Unless you have a great run and a solid coop it will be tough. My husband and I were able to do a 5 day vacation, however the eggs were supposed to be picked up by a family member, who "forgot" and so the coop was a mess of broken and dirty eggs.

Your water will stay cleaner if it is elevated on a cement block and not kept next to their favorite scratching around area. Also, you will need two feeders and probably 3 waterers to be safe. If you can't get someone in everyday to clean and fill water, maybe at least to gather eggs.

We haven't been on a vacation since getting a large flock of chickens since we don't have a network of responsible helpers. Also, that was the same year gas prices went nuts and we couldn't really afford it.

BUT, I haven't been forced to visit the MIL either. Not a bad thing all around.

8. SCYankees

SCYankees New Member

We have decided to have the neighbors next door watch the hens. My husband goes out every morning and lets them out of the coop so that they can run around in a fenced in area attached to the coop. I'm not sure we will ask them to do that. As long as they get watered every day, things should be fine. I will give the neighbors extra feed just in case. The feed container usually lasts several days anyway. I like the hens to have fresh water, so if the neighbors can change that out every day and pick up the eggs, we will deal with the rest when we get home.

I did call a pet sitter, but this person was going on vacation the same time we were. She wanted $15 a visit, which I thought was ok since I was willing to pay someone $10 a day. I don't know that we have any 4H kids near us, but I will have to do more research on that, as it sounds like a viable answer, plus I was even thinking maybe a girl scout (don't they still have the earn a badge in some type of animal care?).

We have another long vacation coming up in January. That should be interesting as far as the hens and keeping the water unfrozen. Maybe it will be mild. We will see. Thanks for all the ideas and posts.:)

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Enjoy your trip. Leave lots of phone numbers. Come home refreshed.

10. cirrus107

cirrus107 Junior Member

A professional pet sitter, some one involved in 4H. I have a friend who comes and takes care of mine. I pay her in addition she gets any eggs that are laid. We are both happy with this arrangement.:)

11. rob

rob New Member

we have chicken hotels here, you take your chickens and they put them up in coops for £3 per coop per day. they do good buisness as well.

12. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Chicken hotel???? I am going to assume Rob has more chicken money than me....Have you used the chicken hotel?

13. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

May have to take seperate vacations like we did. :eek:

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I like the idea of a chicken hotel. Depending on the location, you could make some good scratch. Prolly enough to pay for your own chickens.

15. kejmack

kejmack New Member

I would call the local HS and see if they have an FFA program (Future Farmers of America). If you live in a rural area, they probably have one. That's who I hire to take care of my place. I hired a pet sitter one time. She was a "professional" except she "forgot" to come. I was gone for a week. Luckily, a horsey friend happened to stop by and saw that none of my animals had food or water. She took care of it and then called me. After that, I hire either FFA kids or 4-H kids.

16. kejmack

kejmack New Member

I would not take my chickens to a hotel. First, New Castle Disease. Second, they would stop laying. Just saying.

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I thought about that because I used to board dogs Shen I owned my practice in NE. What a liability.

18. rob

rob New Member

im in the care sector mate so far from loaded lol. the chicken boarding is located in the welsh valleys and for my 3 chickens for 7 days and nights costs 21 pound. :D

19. rob

rob New Member

the chicken hotel is a chicken farm in the valleys. its where my chiockens come from originaly

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's less than $34.00 in the USA. Good deal.