help help!!!!! polish Hen crowing this morning

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by ChickenJohn, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

I have a polish Hen, she is around 2 years old, and she has started crowing on a morning???? Any ideas

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Maybe she has always wanted to be a boy and is just tired of laying eggs.....

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Are you sure she was crowing and not doing the egg song? Are you sure she's a she ;) ?

4. jacksonT

jacksonT New Member

Hens will crow when there is no rooster present no matter the age they will do this because she is most likely the dominant hen there for playing a dominant roosters part in the flock

5. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

It's funny, as she is a defenate Hen, and talking to someone today, they say if you have a rooster present, but now the rooster is gone, she will release a hormone that will make her imitate a roo and she may get worse or she may get better and get board, so hopefully she will get better

6. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

So the rooster is gone then?

7. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

Rooster has gone now, she isn't even the dominant Hen, well makes me think now no one picks on her at all and she doesnt pick on anyone else, so maybe she is the dominant Hen but a silent One

8. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

Help help again my polish has started crowing again , any ideas ?

9. Apyl

Apyl New Member

If you can't have crowing , sounds like you either need to cook her or re-home her. You can't stop a chicken from making noise.

10. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

Im hoping , shes gets board again and stops

11. kjohnstone

kjohnstone New Member

Do you have any friends that would let you borrow a roo???? A few days of having one should help to straighten her out, then you give him back. If there is a neighbor thing going on, just give them a heads up, explain the hen crowing and that you will only have the roo for a few days. Afterwards, when the roo is gone, any time the hen does the squat thing, just give her a little back/hip rub. You will be able to tell that you are doing it right if she puffs up her feathers. Takes about 20-30 seconds.

12. Bee

Bee Active Member

There's an old saying..."a whistling woman and a crowing hen, both will come to no good end". ;)

13. leviparker

leviparker New Member

Is it had for a hen to crow? I'm confuses

14. Bee

Bee Active Member

Depends on if you are allowed to have chickens crowing in your neighborhood or not! ;)

The old saying referred to a lady, or a hen, who had become too bold~too masculine~ and lost her femininity and genteel ways. Some say it has to do with superstition. Here's a few thoughts on it:

15. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

I may try the roo , see what happens cheers

16. rosecomb

rosecomb New Member

I've heard hens that crow are good show birds?

17. rcorliss

rcorliss New Member

I had a polish hen do this.We did not have a roo at the time and she decided she was head honcho.She stopped after we got our roo.:)

18. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

Looks like a roo may have to be got

19. Apyl

Apyl New Member

If you can't have a hen crowing, what are you going to do with a rooster that starts crowing at 4am and crows all day ?

20. ChickenJohn

ChickenJohn New Member

I dont know , ill have a think , dont think she did it this morning , so hopefully shes board already