Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My silkie is hatching out duck eggs. Last night one wasn't in the nest with her. I picked it up and noticed a big hole in it. I figured the other chickens had pecked it. Then I noticed the duck inside moving around. I can see the little beak through the hole. I put the egg back under the hen. This morning there was no progress on hatching but they're not due to hatch until Monday. It's now almost noon and the little guy is "talking" a lot to the hen and she's cooing back, but nothing else has happened with the egg. What do I do??? I don't want the little guy to die in his egg nor do I want to kill him by trying to help. HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!! I know its hard but let nature do its thing. If you help it, it will most likely have issues and eventually die. The hatching process is hard on the babies so the weak ones are weeded out before hatch. IF the baby if strong it will make it. Plus ducks can take 2 FULL days to hatch from first pip. Please just let it hatch on its own.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sometimes they will hatch early if the temp is a little higher, they will also hatch a couple days late if the temp is a little lower. But really hatching between day 19 - 22 is totally normal.

Congrats of the new babies, post lots of pics :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts