Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I lost one of my two chickens to a dog. I immediately went out and was given a hen from a friend of a friend. I didn't want Betty White to be lonely. Well, I don't know what kind of chicken Reba is, but scared and terrified are the first words that come to mind. I have tried the girls in the coop at night and seperation in the day... well, it isn't working. Betty went after Reba this morning, that I am not sure .... I have washed the wounds and seperated them. The only place Betty attacks her is at the top of her neck, like she is going after her brain. She was bleeding terribly. I have two baby chicks with two more to come shortly. Do I need to have two coops and keep Reba with the babies when they get old enough? What to do, what to do?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Last week, I lost one of my two chickens to a dog. I immediately went out and was given a hen from a friend of a friend. I didn't want Betty White to be lonely. Well, I don't know what kind of chicken Reba is, but scared and terrified are the first words that come to mind. I have tried the girls in the coop at night and seperation in the day... well, it isn't working. Betty went after Reba this morning, that I am not sure .... I have washed the wounds and seperated them. The only place Betty attacks her is at the top of her neck, like she is going after her brain. She was bleeding terribly. I have two baby chicks with two more to come shortly. Do I need to have two coops and keep Reba with the babies when they get old enough? What to do, what to do?
What they are doing I'd the pecking order....what you CAN try is blue kote, this is a spray you put on the chicken and if the other chicken pecks at her it is a nasty taste....( this is Arty the local stock shop or feed store) also they do have a lotion stuff that acts as am antibiotic and does the bad taste.......kinda like bitter apple

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will see if I can find some. I think I will let Reba heal first though.... if Betty gets one more bite.. I fear she will get too deep. Right now Reba is content in the sunroom with her own private bowl and plate of excellent treats. Betty never let her get to the water or meals in the coop.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I will see if I can find some. I think I will let Reba heal first though.... if Betty gets one more bite.. I fear she will get too deep. Right now Reba is content in the sunroom with her own private bowl and plate of excellent treats. Betty never let her get to the water or meals in the coop.
Keep use updated

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried Reba back with Betty and that was a major disaster. Reba is in the house/sunroom and not only did Betty bloody her neck, but I see she took a chunk out of Reba's beak also.... Reba is very happy in the sunroom. Betty is alone, but I guess she is ok with it. She follows me in the barn and around the yard... still chases the cat if he comes around. Reba is ready to attack my little house dog when she gets near her - Reba in dog crate, Dog just hanging on my every step. Never thought of "Chicken Drama", but I guess I am in it. Husband wants me to return Reba, but heck... she is more loved here in the sunroom than she was with the other lady. I'm getting 4 chicks... Hope Reba and the chicks can hang together. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
It takes time to get chickens to integrate. Some longer than others. My banty took a couple day, Josie about a week, Lilah - well she was months because she was a year younger than the old biddies and very submissive. I always let them "see" each other first giving the newbie something to hide behind as well. Newbie goes into the tractor coop so I can set it up next to the fenced in run attached to main coop. A day or two of that before I let them roam the back yard together under supervision. The night time thing doesn't work. If they don't get along during the day, then they won't get along at night because as soon as daylight breaks, the aggressive one will be back at it. Its part of working out the pecking order which can be brutal. Get Reba healed up and try letting her be in sight for Betty but in a way that Betty can't get to her for a bit before trying to reintroduce. Put Reba in the coop while Betty isn't in there so Reba can get comfortable with the surroundings and Betty can get used to the sense of Reba having been there. I also had to set Lilah up with her own perch and food dish in the coop. Giving her her own space made her feel more comfortable and confident being it was a space all her own where the older girls didn't perch. Also made it only big enough for about 2 hens so there was no room for another to sit there and go after her. Don't give up on the girls. Just gotta give it time.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
The blue kote isnt for the taste, it's to stop the chickens from seeing blood. They go after blood, and the blue kote coats the red blood a blue color, and the chickens can't see it and attack the bloody areas, thus, allowing it to heal. It won't stop pecking, just allows spots to heal. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
The blue kote isnt for the taste, it's to stop the chickens from seeing blood. They go after blood, and the blue kote coats the red blood a blue color, and the chickens can't see it and attack the bloody areas, thus, allowing it to heal. It won't stop pecking, just allows spots to heal. ;)
Actually the local stock shop has one with a bitter taste a well in the blue kote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts